new Gravely 152 - drive belt jumping off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by trx680, Jun 9, 2017.

1. trx680

trx680 LawnSite Member

Got a Gravely 152 w/ 28 hours. Today the drive belt came off leaving the mower undriveable. I noticed a big black spring came loose as well. I got the belt back on the pulleys and the idler pulley and the spring back in place.
    I start the mower and after about two seconds the belt comes off and the spring comes off too.

Its going back to the dealer in the morning for repair.

Anyone else had this problem?

mower1.jpg mower2.jpg

2. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Silver Member

Not real sure what's causing it. I had the same belt pop off of my pro stance the day before yesterday. Was able to get it back on and hasn't come off since. Wondering if you can adjust a bolt on either side of where that spring attaches to maybe put some more tension on the pulley?

3. 71GTX

71GTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT.

Not sure on the Gravelys but my Ferris has adjustments like Ron Mexico said, on the hydro and deck springs, the spring has to be a certain installed measurement usually in the operators manual.

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    trx680

trx680 LawnSite Member

took it back to the dealer. The idler arm bracket was cracked. They didnt have one in stock so they welded it until they get one in. Kinda surprised it cracked as thick as the metal is.

71GTX likes this.
  5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

My 48 and a buddy's 52 did the same thing. Gravely does cover it under warranty.

6. Ted Hagler

Ted Hagler LawnSite Member

I'm not super experienced so forgive my ignorance on parts. I decided to try to "hop" the front of my mower up in the air to see if I could do a wheelie. Hey, I'm a middle age dad, what do you expect?! Anyways, This sucker had some serious hop! I want almost vertical and when I came crashing down with a bang!

All of a sudden, I couldn't drive. Engine was running perfectly, but no...go power. Reverse and forward were non-functional.

I towed it back to my house and reattached the drive belt. As soon as I started it back up, it popped right back off. I reattached it again and it popped right back off again.
    After a night of contemplation, I thought of those stupid fan blades directly underneath the belt. They were way too close for comfort to begin with! IMHO a stupid design flaw. A few blades bent upwards. They would jump up into the belt channels of the pulleys and push the belt out of place.
    So I TRIMMED the fans so they wouldn't keep doing that. After reattaching the belt for the 5th friggin time, it's running like a dream again.
    I really hope this is the only design flaw to the Gravely!

Breezmeister likes this.
  7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

It would seem that yer particular Gravely has one BIG design flaw, no ?