Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
lol, probably didn't forget, just didn't know what they were in the crate :hammerhead:

doesn't everything come with leftover parts and bolts :laugh:
I've had the exact same situation here in AU comobrute, and came to that conclusion too.
It was definitely the new xf2 deck with the larger discharge, red spindles, and holes in the front skirt but the dealer didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned the adjustable baffle. He checked with the area rep and he was just as clueless. Said we probably don't need them here with our different grasses etc.
For the 'lawns' I mow, the baffles wouldn't be the deal breaker, but the fact that the Gravely staff aren't up to date with their product, would be.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
The deal breaker for me EDBEEK is the fact that both the dealer and rep told me I was wrong, not that they would check into it. I am in the process of buying either 2 Gravely 460's or 2 Scag Turf Tiger 61" EFI, and the more I think about how I was made to look stupid at the dealership is really pissing me off.

I am going to give Gravely the benefit of the doubt and call them directly tomo and go from there.

GMLC, I don't know who puts the baffles on but the dealer had a 452 WITH baffles, sitting right beside 2 460s without them. That is when he told me the baffles came on the 452 and not 460 with the rep on the phone.

I think the baffles should help a lot with the cut. Those of you with the baffles, do you think it gives you a better cut?

Sounds like it could be possible that your dealer may have sold the baffles to one of his friends or larger customers who had an older style deck and wanted the new baffles, and just lied to you about them not being on the 460. Maybe it wan't a rep on the phone at all, but the guy he sold them too.:laugh:

Don't judge Gravely by one bad dealer and possible rep. Not all reps actually know that much about thier products. I was talking with a Stihl rep this spring about some of their chainsaws and why I no longer run them, and when I brought up the MS650, he said they never made that model. I told him they darn well did, because the very shelf we were standing in front of had just had one sitting on it a couple months earlier. He then started changing his story all around after he insisted I was wrong and I had told him I could produce their own brochure with it pictured along with the specs. He tried to then say it was only in production for a few months, at which point I had to interrupt him again and correct him that it had been in production for at least a few years before being dropped last year.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Mary Lyn got everything straight for me. The baffles should be here today or tomo. I was gonna wait till I put them on to give an honest review of the mower.

But this is what I can say about my experience purchasing. Dealer and rep were both wrong about questions I had about 460. I did an instant chat off of Gravely.com and they too had no idea what a baffle was (I saved that instant chat conversation). They did give me a number to gravely that stayed busy all day, and I later found out that they were having problems with their phone.

But now the good....I can not say enough good about Mary here on Lawnsite! It took 1 phone call to her to get everything straight. My dealer called me to inform me that I was correct and he was wrong and apologized that he was not informed of the new deck designs. Not only did Mary take the time to make sure everything got taken care of, she contacted me first to find out if she could help with any problems.

As a business owner, I understand it is hard to please the public all the time, there is always something wrong somewhere. What I appreciate is when a business has somebody on a forum, such as this, that is listening to our problems and concerns. All these mowers cost a lot now days, but it's nice to know we are purchasing from a company that has the same goals and concerns as we do.

Will take pics of the cut over the weekend on St. Augustine and Centipede grass.

Mary Lyn got everything straight for me. The baffles should be here today or tomo. I was gonna wait till I put them on to give an honest review of the mower.

But this is what I can say about my experience purchasing. Dealer and rep were both wrong about questions I had about 460. I did an instant chat off of Gravely.com and they too had no idea what a baffle was (I saved that instant chat conversation). They did give me a number to gravely that stayed busy all day, and I later found out that they were having problems with their phone.

But now the good....I can not say enough good about Mary here on Lawnsite! It took 1 phone call to her to get everything straight. My dealer called me to inform me that I was correct and he was wrong and apologized that he was not informed of the new deck designs. Not only did Mary take the time to make sure everything got taken care of, she contacted me first to find out if she could help with any problems.

As a business owner, I understand it is hard to please the public all the time, there is always something wrong somewhere. What I appreciate is when a business has somebody on a forum, such as this, that is listening to our problems and concerns. All these mowers cost a lot now days, but it's nice to know we are purchasing from a company that has the same goals and concerns as we do.

Will take pics of the cut over the weekend on St. Augustine and Centipede grass.
Good for you!! We all knew you weren't crazy!! This is the service I have always had from Gravely and especially Mary Lyn.

I do hope Gravely educates that Rep who can in turn educate his dealers. This is a great new deck by Gravely and it needs to be pushed by the reps and dealers. It needs to be demoed side by side with the best decks and machines so everyone knows Gravely means business in the commercial machine world.
Posted via Mobile Device

It is this years model, with serial number greater than 20,000. Dealer is a pretty good friend of family and called regional rep for Gravely since he said he had no idea about new deck or adjustable baffles. Rep said all new machines had new deck now and told dealer this is the newest deck and machine. Dealer said the adjustable baffle must only come on 452, but that doesn't sound right to me. Is anybody SURE that the adjustable baffles come on a 460, and could somebody please provide me a picture of that on a 460.

GMLC, you and PROSTREETCAMARO and 2 of the reasons on this site that I was so stuck on getting a Gravely. The other is how quick a Gravely Rep on this site is always pretty quick to respond. But I must admit, I pretty aggravated with this machine already. Didn't think I should have to bring a brand new machine home, just to learn how to adjust the deck myself.

And HAWKSHOT99, thanks for the reply. Blades are brand new, actually the machine is brand new, only had .4 hours on meter when I got home with it. I can understand some things not being perfect, like a scratch or something, but you would think a dealer would have the deck SPOT ON since that is what everybody is really comparing. Unless the dealer's shop just don't know anything about pitch.
My 460 has adjustable baffles. My bet is on the deck not being setup properly and if you don't see these baffles then somebody left them off or it is the older deck. Are the spindles red? If they are it is the new deck. If they are not red then its the older deck.

Sounds like it could be possible that your dealer may have sold the baffles to one of his friends or larger customers who had an older style deck and wanted the new baffles, and just lied to you about them not being on the 460. Maybe it wan't a rep on the phone at all, but the guy he sold them too.
Maybe it was the weed wacker man on the grassy knoll...
Posted via Mobile Device

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.