Lawn Care Forum banner
221 - 240 of 369 Posts
You don't have to to shut the machine off every time you get off, just pull the parking brake up

Discussion starter · #222 ·
I just demo'd a pro stance. Was it just my machine or does the left handle controller shut the engine off? I don't mind how the grandstand cuts the PTO off if you let the handle go. But the pro stance was shutting off when I hit bumps and my arms bounced up. Also to open a gate or pick up trash the mower turned off every time. Very annoying

I liked the fit and finish of the wrights and toro/exmark a little better. Bad boy not so much. Not yet able to demo a vride. But the dealer is close. Hope to pull trigger soon
I never had that problem with the left hand controller. Maybe yours was adjusted to sensitive? Should only activate the safety when you let go. Also when you get off the machine you just have to set the parking brake and it wont shut off.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just demo'd a pro stance. Was it just my machine or does the left handle controller shut the engine off? I don't mind how the grandstand cuts the PTO off if you let the handle go. But the pro stance was shutting off when I hit bumps and my arms bounced up. Also to open a gate or pick up trash the mower turned off every time. Very annoying

I liked the fit and finish of the wrights and toro/exmark a little better. Bad boy not so much. Not yet able to demo a vride. But the dealer is close. Hope to pull trigger soon
I noticed the engine shutting off in the same manner when I tested out the pro stance. I also did not like having to set the ebrake every time I got off. The Toro was the simplest as far as operator presence function.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #224 ·
I noticed the engine shutting off in the same manner when I tested out the pro stance. I also did not like having to set the ebrake every time I got off. The Toro was the simplest as far as operator presence function.
Posted via Mobile Device
Does the toro/exmark set the parking brake automatically when getting off the machine? I have never owned any commercial ZTR/WB/Stander that lets you leave the machine without setting the parking brake.
Posted via Mobile Device

Does the toro/exmark set the parking brake automatically when getting off the machine? I have never owned any commercial ZTR/WB/Stander that lets you leave the machine without setting the parking brake.
Posted via Mobile Device
Neither have I, and the ProStance I demo'd I had to set the brake in the usual fashion. I have to set the brake on my Deere just like any other mower.

Posted via Mobile Device
You can step off of the grandstand without setting the brake. The reason for this is toro marketed this mower as a wb if need be. Walking behind the gs is awkward and I never use it in wb mode. This was a marketing gimmick by toro. The instruction video shows it being used as a wb it is a joke to say the least. The deere I demoed was the worst as the operator presence is on the platform. You step off for a second to pick something off of a yard and it shuts down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #227 ·
You can step off of the grandstand without setting the brake. The reason for this is toro marketed this mower as a wb if need be. Walking behind the gs is awkward and I never use it in wb mode. This was a marketing gimmick by toro. The instruction video shows it being used as a wb it is a joke to say the least. The deere I demoed was the worst as the operator presence is on the platform. You step off for a second to pick something off of a yard and it shuts down.
Posted via Mobile Device
You can also flip up the platform on the Pro-Stance to use as a walkbehind. The traction isnt as good though.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can also flip up the platform on the Pro-Stance to use as a walkbehind. The traction isnt as good though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gravely pro stance is a great mower. Already having an accelerator bagger and the ocdc was a major factor in my purchase of a new grandstand. I would of had to purchase these two items if I went with the pro stance. I am a cheerleader of no brand of standers. They all had their faults.
Posted via Mobile Device

It could have been too sensitive. I wasn't hitting ditches at full speed trying to roll the thing. Just 4-5 mph through a gravel lot to the grass and if I hit a bump my arm would raise a little and the engine would spool down and 1/2 second later my arm drop and the engine pick up RPMs

I figured if it did that so many times on test ride. It would surely annoy me on a bumpy lawn

I went to demo the pro stance 100% because of this thread and review. I had demoed the stander X and GS already. Neither had such a finicky cut off

My main yard has a big gate and lots of sticks. I didn't know the ebrake kept the engine running till these replies so I was worried I would start the engine 7 times each yard
Posted via Mobile Device

When I was demoing I had that problem too. I would for get to put the brake on or my hand would come off the handle but after a couple days you get used to it.

Discussion starter · #231 ·
It could have been too sensitive. I wasn't hitting ditches at full speed trying to roll the thing. Just 4-5 mph through a gravel lot to the grass and if I hit a bump my arm would raise a little and the engine would spool down and 1/2 second later my arm drop and the engine pick up RPMs

I figured if it did that so many times on test ride. It would surely annoy me on a bumpy lawn

I went to demo the pro stance 100% because of this thread and review. I had demoed the stander X and GS already. Neither had such a finicky cut off

My main yard has a big gate and lots of sticks. I didn't know the ebrake kept the engine running till these replies so I was worried I would start the engine 7 times each yard
Posted via Mobile Device
I would say its something you get use to and you wont lift your hand off the safety over bumps(and it may be out of adjustment). Most of my lawns here in NH are bumpy and I had no problems. Your not going to find a better built stander with all the features and cut quality. Foot operated and hand operated deck lift, dial adjust deck height, rubber isolated foot platform, etc. etc. Thanks for your honest input, got any pics?

the 2 biggest things keeping me from liking any of these standers other than wright is the platforms and the operator presence. i really like having the OPC in platform and never have had an issue with it. the hand operated OPC's are just a pain IMO. the other thing is the platforms, i'm 6'2'' and feel like i'm 10' tall on other standers. i can go under trees and stuff much easier on the wright and feel much more secure on them. I'm really leaning toward a gravely if anything else if i can't get the cut quality issues sorted out. that is the ONLY good thing i have to say about the loaner vantage I have been using the past couple days

Discussion starter · #233 ·
the 2 biggest things keeping me from liking any of these standers other than wright is the platforms and the operator presence. i really like having the OPC in platform and never have had an issue with it. the hand operated OPC's are just a pain IMO. the other thing is the platforms, i'm 6'2'' and feel like i'm 10' tall on other standers. i can go under trees and stuff much easier on the wright and feel much more secure on them. I'm really leaning toward a gravely if anything else if i can't get the cut quality issues sorted out. that is the ONLY good thing i have to say about the loaner vantage I have been using the past couple days
I here ya on the platform operator presence. My guess to why the Pro-Stance doesnt use it is because the platform flips up for WB mode. IMO the Pro-Stance is the only "useable" stander as a WB. Altough traction was reduced. The cut is great on the Pro-Stance and that is Wrights down fall and always has been, crappy cut quality. I had great hope for the aero core deck but it has been less than stellar on cool season grasses.
Posted via Mobile Device

I currently have mine in the shop for cut quality issues, another LCO in my area has 2 of them and they seem to do a good job with the right blades and baffle setup. the dealer thinks mine cuts like crap as well and they can't figure out why, everything is within spec. if i haven't heard something positive by monday then i'll probably be looking to get into something else

The high platform height on the other brands of mowers is related to the patent Wright has on the location of the platform. Agreed, it is high. If it were as low as the Wright there would be a lot of bottoming out along with problems navigating ditches. A person does get used ot it after a while though.

Dont get me wrong I think Gravely is a good company but I really hated the X Factor deck when it first came out. Now I never tried to side discharge with it I needed a mulching mower. I spent countless hrs under it looking for flaws that were causing cutting issues, it was worse than my XR7 by far. Maybe I got a messed up mower. I sent pics to Gravely I checked pitch, tire pressure to no avail. Nice looking mower at first but then it turned to hate I could not even use it on my jobs. The pics below show the cut quality.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Water Water resources Azure Natural environment Plant

Sky Window Plant Building House

Plant Sky Land lot Slope Grass

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

Discussion starter · #239 ·
Dont get me wrong I think Gravely is a good company but I really hated the X Factor deck when it first came out. Now I never tried to side discharge with it I needed a mulching mower. I spent countless hrs under it looking for flaws that were causing cutting issues, it was worse than my XR7 by far. Maybe I got a messed up mower. I sent pics to Gravely I checked pitch, tire pressure to no avail. Nice looking mower at first but then it turned to hate I could not even use it on my jobs. The pics below show the cut quality.
The Gravely Pro-Stance doesnt have the X-Factor deck. You may want to post this in the X-Factor cut quality thread. Most open style decks do not mulch well because they process huge volumes of grass quickly. Allowing for great cut quality in most all conditions, especially wet and at speed. I have never tried mulching here as things are always wet. Morning dew does dry off here until 11 or so. Tightly baffled decks have always struggled in the north east. I see a lot of guys still with them double cutting to get good results. Most of us have now gone to X-Factor and Velocity style decks.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Gravely Pro-Stance doesnt have the X-Factor deck. You may want to post this in the X-Factor cut quality thread. Most open style decks do not mulch well because they process huge volumes of grass quickly. Allowing for great cut quality in most all conditions, especially wet and at speed. I have never tried mulching here as things are always wet. Morning dew does dry off here until 11 or so. Tightly baffled decks have always struggled in the north east. I see a lot of guys still with them double cutting to get good results. Most of us have now gone to X-Factor and Velocity style decks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya I posted it by accident in this thread, don't know if I could retract it or move it. Ill try. Thanks.

221 - 240 of 369 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.