Lawn Care Forum banner

New Gravely Pro-Stance Stander Review!!! With PICS!!!

177K views 368 replies 74 participants last post by  DieselBoy71 
#1 ·
Due to the success of my Gravely 400 series review Gravely has sent me the new Pro-Stance stander for as long as I need to test and write another honest review!! Over the next couple of weeks I will give my opinion on the performance of the Pro-Stance 52” in northern cool season grasses, wet and dry conditions, hills and in lawns that range from weeds to finely manicured KBG. And probably some leaf clean up in a few weeks.

Once again the first thing I noticed when I took delivery this morning was the fit and finish on the Pro-Stance is amazing! Perfect welds, paint, wire routing etc. Gravely took great care when designing and assembling this mower. The fine details in my opinion are second to none. Gravely has made another industrial grade mower, the front end and frame are massive! Durability will not be a problem with the Pro-Stance and just like the 400 series this mower is built much stronger than it needs to be. Lifetime deck and frame warranty!!

I have been told by Gravely that this stander has the lowest center of gravity in the industry as well as the best weight distribution. The front end was designed to climb hills without coming off the ground and the back end was designed for traction. The suspension platform was made so the operator can move around their weight when needed and the fenders even have foot platforms to lean way off the machine while mowing across steep hills. The suspension platform folds up to operate the machine in walk behind mode with tons of leg/foot room. The suspension platform also has a separate rubber isolated platform on top of it to reduce vibration to the operator. The deck lift can be operated by hand or foot so you can float the deck while mowing over rocks etc. The deck is hung with control arms instead of chains to prevent the deck from swaying and bouncing which will improve cut quality and hill side stability. The deck height is changed by the dial adjust deck lift system which I love on my 452. The Pro-Stance is the first stander in the industry to have integrated wheel pumps and motors with the Hydro-Gear 3400 series transaxles with two cooling fans and two separate reservoirs. The 52” Pro-Stance is equipped with a 22 HP Kawi., 9 gallon gas tank with fuel gauge, hybrid run flats on the front, adjustable speed control and a huge pad to lean on. I was told the deck is an improved version of the Great Dane/Ever Ride deck. I’m a huge fan of Gravely’s X-Factor deck so I’m curious how this will deck perform.

I did mow 10 lawns today in the rain with good results. I’m still getting use to the controls and the machine so my stripes are not perfectly straight yet! I should be mowing in dry conditions tomorrow, I hope…

Give me a week or so and I will start posting my opinions on performance.

Enjoy the pics!!!!

Lawn mower Plant Tire Walk-behind mower Window

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

Motor vehicle Train Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Lawn mower

Lawn mower Riding mower Mower Wheel Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

See less See more
#14 ·
It's my understanding Wright is making Gravely's standers? They do look very similier in design. If there was a Gravely dealer or dealers around here I would be tempted to demo one we're pretty much all JD,Scag,Exmark,Walker and Toro around here, although I did see a Wright just the other day. It looks to have a lot of really good features maybe too many, overcomplicated in a sense.

#18 ·
I am so glad to see this review. I am demoing a 61" Pro Stance next week and have been trying to find reviews but I have not seen any on the new machines. The dealer I have the V Ride demo from also sells Gravely and I ask him the other day which he would prefer and he said they have had good luck with both and that he would put the Gravely up against anybodies machine. I am demoing the V Ride till the Gravely comes in and so far I have been pleased with what I am seeing. But they would be willing to sell me the two Gravely for $1100 less than the Scags so that is pretty attractive to me as long as they perform as well as I need. Have you or will you be climbing any curbs with it. I'm not talking the rounded one I'm talking squared off ones. I have several of these that are for islands and I need to be able to climb on them to mow them. My Deere machines wouldn't do it as they would bottom out between the rear wheels or the back of the deck. Cut quality looks very good considering it was wet. Some machines seem to like the grass a little wet. I know my Deere always cut just a little better when the grass was a little wet.
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
I am so glad to see this review. I am demoing a 61" Pro Stance next week and have been trying to find reviews but I have not seen any on the new machines. The dealer I have the V Ride demo from also sells Gravely and I ask him the other day which he would prefer and he said they have had good luck with both and that he would put the Gravely up against anybodies machine. I am demoing the V Ride till the Gravely comes in and so far I have been pleased with what I am seeing. But they would be willing to sell me the two Gravely for $1100 less than the Scags so that is pretty attractive to me as long as they perform as well as I need. Have you or will you be climbing any curbs with it. I'm not talking the rounded one I'm talking squared off ones. I have several of these that are for islands and I need to be able to climb on them to mow them. My Deere machines wouldn't do it as they would bottom out between the rear wheels or the back of the deck. Cut quality looks very good considering it was wet. Some machines seem to like the grass a little wet. I know my Deere always cut just a little better when the grass was a little wet.
Posted via Mobile Device
They actually have two different holes for the front caster axle to mount in on the fropnt forks. the guy who brought my demo out today said that the lower hole was for making it a little better for climbing over certain curbs. Of course, the deck would have to be leveled and the machine used in whichever hole you choose, meaning you can't level it while mounted in the hole it comes from the factory in, and then swao for curb climbing without any adjustments made.

If you look at my pics in the review I put up today, you can see the hole I'm talking about on the front forks.It's just below and back of the stoc mounting hole.

#20 ·
It's my understanding Wright is making Gravely's standers? They do look very similier in design. If there was a Gravely dealer or dealers around here I would be tempted to demo one we're pretty much all JD,Scag,Exmark,Walker and Toro around here, although I did see a Wright just the other day. It looks to have a lot of really good features maybe too many, overcomplicated in a sense.
the gravely looks nothing like a wright stander. John Deere is having their standers made by right though.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
yeah, Wright is making standers for JD as of 2013...gravely (owned by Ariens) DID make the stander for John Deere previously, and it sucked just as much as the old gravely pro stance...i'm 97.3546% sure that is all correct, now i'm gonna go double check...i'm also very tired and my sleeping pill is starting to kick in, so if i'm wrong, i'm prob not going to correct it...

#22 ·
yeah, Wright is making standers for JD as of 2013...gravely (owned by Ariens) DID make the stander for John Deere previously, and it sucked just as much as the old gravely pro stance...i'm 97.3546% sure that is all correct, now i'm gonna go double check...i'm also very tired and my sleeping pill is starting to kick in, so if i'm wrong, i'm prob not going to correct it...
I believe you're incorrect here. Gravely has been making the JD WB's, not the standers. It is true that Wright and Deere are partnering up for the new standers though.

#24 ·
How do you feel it did on the wet grass vs. what your x factor would have done? do you find the walk behind mode to actually be useful or just a gimmick?
Posted via Mobile Device
I feel it did really well but will need more time on some thick grass. The X-Factor does awesome in wet grass. I will keep you updated as I cut more.

#25 ·
i'm sure they will make a 36 at some point, especially if these models do well, and i think they will, lot of potential...can u explain the front casters in more detail? our grandstands are solid rubber which is nice, never have to worry about air...
The front tires are a hybrid run flat. They take no air but are not solid. Feel to have what 8 psi would feel like. Really smooths out the ride.

#26 ·
Gravely designed and made this stander from scratch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.