New guy, am I crazy?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Well before my years in the workforce, not anyone I worked for. People had softball leagues, bowling leagues, better benefits for the most part, just an overall more general family friendly atmosphere and companies putting energy and money into its employees. It wasn't who I worked for. It's just hearing others talk about what all got cut out because it cost the company money. Billionaire compaines continue to cut the throats of employees. Of course conditions were not always as safe as they are now, but there was a period of time when it seemed many employers cared more for employees than now. Not really a secret.
Ok
While I understand where you’re coming from
It’s not really a companies that cut
It Was regulation , liability and illegal competition
Johnny fly by night doesn’t understand why legit companies overcharge
Except they don’t
He’s just too small to get caught for all the things he’s not doing legally

but by time you get large enough to afford softball leagues
Bennies
Sponsorships and paid vacation
Here come the regulations, fines, lawsuits and various trouble

we tried softball last year
You know who showed up?
Managers and they’re families.
I’m 49
I pulled a hamstring stealing second base
I’m not even supposed to be there except to hand out hot dogs, thank yous and handshakes
But I went to play it again sports last minute to buy a girls softball glove to play first base to avoid a forfeit

no one gives a crap about softball and hotdogs after work anymore
I’m not trying to be mean
Just saying been there , pulled that hamstring

people used to make a living working for 15-18/hr
Now that’s a pittance

I was paying 15/hr when I was charging 42-hr
Now I charge 60 -75
And I look at the numbers and I’m hard pressed to pay 15-18

the guys I do pay 22-24 literally “betray me”
What’s that mean?
That means they aren’t worth it and they lose me money
They damage stuff
They don’t want responsibility
They’re inefficient
The first chance they get they’re gone with no notice
Two guys left to run long haul trucks in Chicago
60 cents a mile
Their first two weeks they made $1800
They think that’s awesome
Except they’re getting 1099
Which is illegal
24x40 is $960 a week
So I paid them more
But they think they’ll just figure out the “tax thing” later
No man, you’re making way less

they don’t see it that way because it’s money in they’d hand right now
Until they don’t pay their quarterly taxes

there’s all sorts of stupid things the government has put private business in charge of with no reward
Like child support
I literally have a pay a lady two days a week to process child support issues and payments / problems
if these guys actually showed up to work
They wouldn’t have so many damn kids!

no I have overhead for someone else’s lack of being a responsible parent

that’s where good times and benefits have gone

over regulation

CJIII1983

LawnSite Senior Member
Kids are 14, 10, 8, and 3. I plan on keeping my current job at least until spring of 2022 or 2023 unless I make big gains before then. Wife is graduating as a nurse and already works in the department she will be nursing in as a CNA so that locked down. Things are lining up so well its scary!
Hey folks, I'm new around here. New to the scene, new to the site, new all around. Let me give some background. I'm a 38 year old married father of 4, and have always been our families sole income. My work, since graduating High School, has always been IT...and I've HATED it for the last 10 years, but with bills to pay and a family to feed I couldn't make any changes that could jeopardize our livelihoods. I currently gross 55k a year, have health and vacation and all that. It's not a bad job, but I'm also not happy.

Come December my wife will graduate and be making more than I currently do, probably more than I ever will in IT (no degree keeps me from moving much farther up). She will have similar benefits as I have now and can take all of those over...so I've been mulling a change. Looking for something I can do outside, that keeps me active and gives me freedom.

My plan: I have an 18x7' utility trailer (new last year) that I will be using to start. I've got a nice Echo 755ST backpack blower, an Echo 225 with a trimmer and edger heads, some equipment defender racks, a nice pressure washer, and my next purchase (the one that gives me pause) is a 52" V-Ride II. I intend to start small this spring/summer with a handfull of customers, as a side gig, and get some experience running the buisness under my belt as well as turning lawncare into more than just a dad passtime. I have no delusions that I'll replace my income in the first, or second year...but am I crazy for making this change? How feasible is it to think I might be able to replace my current income (and hopefully surpass it) in a few years time? I'm a hard worker, true to my word, and love to learn ways to improve.

Future plans are to get a bigger truck, currently have a 1500 but would like to get a 2500 with either a dump bed or a dump insert. Build a box and get a billygoat or something for leaf cleanup in the fall. Replace my open utility trailer with an enclosed trailer, and toss a plow on the truck for winter income.

I hate to be a hater but, starting with a Scag V Ride is a bad idea you may find out you don't like the lawn care business, I do this part-time also You should be starting off with a commercial 21'' or 30'' mower and work your way up to a bigger mower, also you don't need a trailer to start off with. My current setup is a Honda 21'' commercial mower, Stihl string trimmer, edger, backpack blower I put everything in the back of the pickup truck. I have about 8 accounts. Starting a business debt-free is not really the way it's done, you don't want all of your cash tied up in a business.

Chineau

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok
Except they don’t

Bennies

You know who showed up?
I’m 49
I’m not even supposed to be there except to hand out hot dogs, thank yous and handshakes
But I went to play it again sports last minute to buy a girls softball glove to play first base to avoid a forfeit

Now that’s a pittance

Now I charge 60 -75

What’s that mean?
They damage stuff
They’re inefficient
60 cents a mile
Which is illegal
24x40 is $960 a week
So I paid them more

there’s all sorts of stupid things the government has put private business in charge of with no reward
Like child support
I literally have a pay a lady two days a week to process child support issues and payments / problems

over regulation
skip the baseball, condoms, every payday hand out a dozen too each employee.
thank me later.
I feel your pain

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
Ok
Except they don’t

Bennies

You know who showed up?
I’m 49

Now that’s a pittance

Now I charge 60 -75

What’s that mean?
They damage stuff
They’re inefficient
60 cents a mile
Which is illegal
24x40 is $960 a week
So I paid them more

Like child support

over regulation
IT's an entirely different world now than then. People included. People are different because of different times. And the real problem is the regulation is designed so that only the largest companies survive, therefore causing the rich to get richer, and the rest to fold or sell out. That's the goal, all part of the elite continuing to dominate.

I don't think many care about leagues these days, but I think back in the day it meant more. People are overloaded with "things to do" now. Sadly they feel entitled as well. But I will agree that wages are not going up near the same rate as inflation, and it's all a big mess. Sometimes I wonder if this high tech world has made things any better. My opinion is no.

SS Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Your not suddenly crazy, it's that you always have been! Welcome aboard. I kid mostly, but there is a kernel of truth in that joke. My biggest piece of advice is not to go into debt right off the bat. Grow organically with cash earned as much as possible. Work with what you have, then buy up little by little. Some might disagree with that, but only you have to pay your bills not the other guy. Landscaping is a good way to go into a job with very little overhead and receive higher margins. A shovel and a wheelbarrow can generate thousands!

Chineau

LawnSite Senior Member
Your not suddenly crazy, it's that you always have been! Welcome aboard. I kid mostly, but there is a kernel of truth in that joke. My biggest piece of advice is not to go into debt right off the bat. Grow organically with cash earned as much as possible. Work with what you have, then buy up little by little. Some might disagree with that, but only you have to pay your bills not the other guy. Landscaping is a good way to go into a job with very little overhead and receive higher margins. A shovel and a wheelbarrow can generate thousands!
yes, a mini-hoe and skid will magnify that.
work with a plan for the future and look after your back.

Top Forums