New Guy from VA- Looking for guidance

Gmwilkes

LawnSite Member
Hi All,
I recently have looked into starting a part time job of mowing lawns. Found this site by chance, and joined within the last week. Been reading around and found a lot of great information to help me get started. But now, more about me...

I work a full time job that provides me to be off on days during the week that swap every 2 weeks. Off Wed and Thurs one week, then off Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat and Sun the following week. Im hoping that this will provide me with an opportunity to make some money aside from my regular job.

I love being outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping- when I can. Like doing yard work, so figured this could be a good endeavor for me. I'm younger than many people who start their own business, but not the youngest by any means.

So, here I am looking to start a new business and open to any suggestions that anyone may have.

Thanks for reading,
Gmwilkes

caseysmowing

LawnSite Silver Member
I would get a business plan going this year and hit the ground running in the spring. Start saving money for some equipment, insurance, advertising, and business license. Everything you need to know is somewhere on this site you just have to look. Best of luck from Staunton VA.
Posted via Mobile Device

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
Hi All,
I recently have looked into starting a part time job of mowing lawns. Found this site by chance, and joined within the last week. Been reading around and found a lot of great information to help me get started. But now, more about me...

I work a full time job that provides me to be off on days during the week that swap every 2 weeks. Off Wed and Thurs one week, then off Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat and Sun the following week. Im hoping that this will provide me with an opportunity to make some money aside from my regular job.

I love being outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping- when I can. Like doing yard work, so figured this could be a good endeavor for me. I'm younger than many people who start their own business, but not the youngest by any means.

So, here I am looking to start a new business and open to any suggestions that anyone may have.

Thanks for reading,
Gmwilkes

Contact score.org You may find in time information you will need to start your business from this site, however if you value your time and want to have a actual plan going forward SCORE is the organization that will steer you and assist you going forward. Schedule an appointment and be prepared to make your move going forward with retired professionals that have been there and done that thousands of times over. See if there is a mentoring program with your local chapter for more one on one support.
easy-lift guy

Kawizx62003

LawnSite Silver Member
Not sure if GMWILKES and A_MORRIS are the same person. Two new members from VA, one in law enforcement and GMWILKES has a law enforcement like schedule. Anyway, to the OP, I left my FT employment a month ago. I had the same schedule (nights 12's). I mowed on Friday's. I demanded myself to be consistent with the same service day each week. It was very tough with that schedule. I did it and it worked so it can be done. It would be easier on day shift but even then, assuming you work 12's its gonna be tough. In fact that rotation makes normal life tough in general. I dont miss it.

OP
G

Gmwilkes

LawnSite Member
I assure you i'm not Morris but you're correct in my line of work. Work 12s rotating every 6 Weeks. As far as equipment, at the moment I don't have anything. Looked at a new toro zero turn mower and stihl trimmer and blower. I've got some plans for getting started in the spring, and plan to start out slow as not to become too overwhelmed. Also entertained the idea of buying all used equipment and upgrading as I go. Except for probably get the trimmer and blower new.

I'll check out score.org as mentioned as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
G

Gmwilkes

LawnSite Member
And I understand there's a difference in part time job and business, but I hope to look at this from the business side so as business grows, I can hire a few guys that can cut s while i'm working, and help on days i'm off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kawizx62003

LawnSite Silver Member
Then I say go for it. I was in the same position in March/May so I can be of some help. Equipment wise, I strongly suggest buying used. Depending on where you are in VA will dictate mower size, rural, suburban etc?. I wouldn't spend anymore than a few grand, if that. Hunt a used commercial walk behind in CL and get a decent used trimmer (Stihl?) and blower. I bought a Husqvarna blower at Lowes (just for my own home) and it has treated me very well. I will replace it when it breaks though with a stihl. I won't mention the brand of trimmer I have but I have (again before I had plans to start this). I will replace it with a stihl when it breaks. I bought a commercial cub cadet 48 inch walk behind and 5x8 trailer for $1100 (for my own home again). So I was in it for less than $1500. I have converted the walk behind into a powered wheelbarrow as it was getting too many issues being so old. I bought a toro turfmaster, ditched the trailer and just use my P/U truck bed. I use Yardbook for customer/property/routing...etc. Its FREE and excellent for the price. I created a business plan on enloop.com FREE. So again, if you need any help, I will try to help. Then again I am a newbie. Also do you have any experience in either business or lawn care/landscaping?

Also it doesnt hurt to use a few vacation hours (if you want to grow) to keep a consistent schedule with your customers. For marketing look into thumbtack.com? Some dont have luck with it but I have picked up some great accounts for little investment.

Top Forums