New guy here - but need zero turn help.

snfrd84

LawnSite Member
I'm looking hard into getting my first Zero Turn mower. But not sure which brand to get.

My fiance has grown up around nothing but Deere and wants me to get one. I'll say this, just want to get the best bang for my buck.

I'd like to keep my budget around $3k, but can go up to $3.5k if I really needed.

I just have no idea where to start. Seems everyone has a different opinion on what to get. I only have about 1 acre to cut anyway. So I wouldn't need a huge mower.

Been looking at:

Deere

Husqvarna

Bad Boy

Toro

Aires (Used available)

Doc Shea USN retired

LawnSite Member
Welcome to the forum and hopefully with just a little more info the wonderful people here can help narrow things down a bit. That being said could you provide a little more info that should help others giving a little advice?
1. How mechanical are you? Will you perform your own maintenance? Can you address any basic issues?
2. Are you looking to buy new or used?
3. 1ac isn’t a lot to cut on a weekly basis however the type of yard can affect the size of a mower (gates, obstacles, grass type dry, or wet conditions etc..) is your yard more flat, sloped etc… any additional info on yard is helpful.
4. What are the main dealers near you that could provide parts or service if needed and have you checked their reviews/reputation?
I’ve seen people get easily 10 years+ from residential model zero turns (your price range new) however if you have plans of adding side gigs a used commercial isn’t out of the picture.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Look at the specs. The biggest thing really to worry about is the hydros IMO. They all should likely have a Hydrogear ZT.... transaxle. The highr the number following the ZT, the beefier and more durable. So with your budget and level of mowers in that budget, I'd just get the one with the largest hydros. Doesn't matter much what color paint is on it.

Doc Shea USN retired

LawnSite Member
Then for your needs any of those you mentioned would work. What it will come down to is personal preference (go to each dealer and sit on one and drive it a bit). Make a list of what you like and dislike about each mower and the dealer/store. Also what the other member mentioned about the hydros is true, and should be a factor in your decision. Once you have it narrowed down to two or three model number choices you can always ask here for any known issues or personal choices that others might have to help you make that final decision. But number one thing is try out various machines (on grass if possible) there will be one or two that stand out and just seem to fit you better.
All flat. Here in upstate sc, some rain. no gates. Trees, few bushes.

Doc Shea USN retired

LawnSite Member
If you can't test now with them, at the very least see if you can drive them around a bit to test how comfortable they are. Most dealers should let you do that. Big box stores, who knows.
Yeah the big box stores are hit or miss. Some might let you try it out in the outside area (which will not tell you how comfortable it will be bouncing around while mowing a yard) most won’t due to cars and customers walking around and they don’t know how “well” you can or can’t operate said machine. But if going that route look for no questions asked return policies….take it home cut a bit then take it back…if it’s not what you need. Just don’t expect to put a bunch of hours on it then try and return it….;-)

OP
S

snfrd84

LawnSite Member
Think I've found the one. Husqvarna Z248F. Local dealer near me has them. 3 yr warranty. Will deliver it for free. Anytime it needs servicing, they will come get it.

First oil change, they'll do it for free.

I did sit on a 50" Toro Timecutter, felt much nicer to sit on, but not sure it's worth the extra $400 just for the small amount of time I'd be cutting, lol. Plus it didn't have an hr counter.

OP
S

snfrd84

LawnSite Member
Question, for me cutting one acre, pretty much all flat land, would it be that much of a difference in a stamped deck vs fabricated?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Question, for me cutting one acre, pretty much all flat land, would it be that much of a difference in a stamped deck vs fabricated?
You can easily add an hour meter to anything wth a spark plug.

Stamped deck vs fabbed. Do you have sandy soil? Will you regularly scrape the bottom of your deck clean? Will you regularly clean the grass off the top of the deck? Will you store the mower indoors? Those are the biggest factors in how soon a deck will rust out.

Top Forums