Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a irrigation guy but I need so help. I have an old customer with a broken sprinkle head. Not caused by me. The gear inside broke and it no longer turns. Normally a simple head replacement. Well hear is where it gets intresting. This is a very old system. They installed the head with concrete around the head. Well I dug around the concrete and found the line. It's copper pipe, I think? I thought that I could expose a few feet of the line and cut out a two foot section and install a new section of 1/2" of 3/4" copper and sweat it in. I would then install an approprate tee with a threated insert where I could install a funny pipe nipple, then a foot of funny pipe and a new head. I am scared that the copper in the ground will be so caroded that I will never find good pipe to sweat to. Has anyone ever come accross this type of set up. I need some pointers before I procede.

Just a side note, I am not trying to take work away from the pro's. I did this because my customer is very old and not very good with talking to people. She is very shy. I thought I would just do her the favor, but I amy have bitten off more then I can chew.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm not a irrigation guy but I need so help. I have an old customer with a broken sprinkle head. Not caused by me. The gear inside broke and it no longer turns. Normally a simple head replacement. Well hear is where it gets intresting. This is a very old system. They installed the head with concrete around the head. Well I dug around the concrete and found the line. It's copper pipe, I think? I thought that I could expose a few feet of the line and cut out a two foot section and install a new section of 1/2" of 3/4" copper and sweat it in. I would then install an approprate tee with a threated insert where I could install a funny pipe nipple, then a foot of funny pipe and a new head. I am scared that the copper in the ground will be so caroded that I will never find good pipe to sweat to. Has anyone ever come accross this type of set up. I need some pointers before I procede.

Just a side note, I am not trying to take work away from the pro's. I did this because my customer is very old and not very good with talking to people. She is very shy. I thought I would just do her the favor, but I amy have bitten off more then I can chew.
i have a few with the concrete around them, most of them i was able to spin the head/concrete off and use the old thread, can you bust the concrete off?good luck

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a few with the concrete around them, most of them i was able to spin the head/concrete off and use the old thread, can you bust the concrete off?good luck
I'm afraid that if I hit the concrete it will crack the piping. I also tried to spin the head cap off but no luck. I can't even spin the head as the concrete is around the line also. I am wondering if the heads are sweated on to the pipe. The heads appare to be copper bodies as well. I will try to get pics tomorrow if my camera works. But thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Wait.... If it's a brass head and copper pipe... what about it is broken?

Is there an actaual break in the line or crack in the body? Or does it just need a nozzle unclogged or replaced? Show us pics.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I never did understand why anyone feels the need to pour concrete. The donuts are OK if your down south and need them for the old brass 2" pops, but no reason to pour the concrete. A picture would be nice, but I am tempted to suggest you dig beside the head and give it a "soft" tap with a "little" hammer. (Don't use a 20#, a 16 will be plenty ;) ). IF you break the pipe, what are you out? As to not being able to fix it if you break it or have to cut it? The pipe will dress up just fine. IF you can solder copper, you can make this repair. A pair of no hub couplers and a bull head threaded tee and you should be back in business.

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
If afraid of the copper not holding when soldered together, how about using the Shark Fittings that do not need sweating or soldering? They grab or bite or somehow hold on with no leaks (supposedly). I haven't used them yet.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All right, It's fixed. I have pics, but their not loading for so reason. Ever since I dropped the camera, It has been nothing but problems. What I did is I exposed about three feet of pipe and the entire head. The concrete was around the head as well as under and around the line. No was to spin the head off. I cut out the pipe, and sweat in a new section with a tee. The only problem was the copper was very soft near the concrete. May have something to due with the lime factor. Pipe was solid about ten inches away from the concrete. Not a very big deal, but a little scary for a first timer. Thank you to every one that offered help.

One last question, Why do Fair Lawn sprinkles s*ck?

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
All right, It's fixed. I have pics, but their not loading for so reason. Ever since I dropped the camera, It has been nothing but problems.
Take your photos to a site like Imageshack and shrink them to 640x480 to make them usable here.
What I did is I exposed about three feet of pipe and the entire head. The concrete was around the head as well as under and around the line. No was to spin the head off. I cut out the pipe, and sweat in a new section with a tee. The only problem was the copper was very soft near the concrete. May have something to due with the lime factor. Pipe was solid about ten inches away from the concrete. Not a very big deal, but a little scary for a first timer. Thank you to every one that offered help.

One last question, Why do Fair Lawn sprinkles s*ck?
Don't get me started....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.