• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

new half ton for mowing crew

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
My old f250 was a lariat, but it was an ‘06 and beat. My ‘16 F150 was a luxury trim too, But I got rid of it in under a year because I was damaging it. My ‘18 ram 3500 is the base model- Tradesman, but I added the “nice” features I wanted- leather (catkinz or whatever) seats. 12” touch screen. The fancy dashboard cluster. But has all the manual seats, vinyl floor and door panels etc. I really tried to save a buck and did the bed liner myself and it turned out awful.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
It seems like a lot of you guys have the 1/4 tons for your personal car. When I am a few years older am I going to lose the constant urge to be driving a 1 ton Diesel drw everywhere?!?! I can’t imagine driving anything else and this is only my 2nd truck that wasn’t a half ton. Like this time of year I stand outside and listen to it start up & idle for a good 30 seconds before I get in every morning. Lol
If I want a car I’ll buy one but my trucks are going to earn their keep. A little 1/4 ton truck doesn’t cut it for me. My first truck was a 1/2 ton but I sold it and I haven’t had another one since.

Attachments

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
If I want a car I’ll buy one but my trucks are going to earn their keep. A little 1/4 ton truck doesn’t cut it for me. My first truck was a 1/2 ton but I sold it and I haven’t had another one since.
What's a 1/4 ton, like an s10 or a ranger?

It all depends on your use. For some of us mow and blow guys that make lots of stops and have to get into residentials on a regular basis, a 1/2 is more than enough.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Well you don’t even have to shut off the truck if it’s a diesel. I carry a 2nd set of keys and leave my truck running while I pump gas, buy beer, sometimes even if I’m getting a quick bite to eat! Occasionally someone at the gas pump says “hey shut your truck off you could start a fire” then I kindly remind the tree hugger that diesel is far less flammable than petrol. If I’m feeling really immature I throw some smoke on the way out.

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
Well you don’t even have to shut off the truck if it’s a diesel. I carry a 2nd set of keys and leave my truck running while I pump gas, buy beer, sometimes even if I’m getting a quick bite to eat! Occasionally someone at the gas pump says “hey shut your truck off you could start a fire” then I kindly remind the tree hugger that diesel is far less flammable than petrol. If I’m feeling really immature I throw some smoke on the way out.
You don't have to shut the truck off, but you also don't have to keep it running for long periods of time. It's your call. Somewhere along the way this became a cool diesel thing to do, leave that baby idling forever. Most of these new ones with all the emissions crap on them don't even like that, it's a great way to clog up the DPF.

I have a diesel. I truly do not understand this day in age why I see so many friends and other people thinking they need to leave their truck running at idle for hours in a day. Unless you love burning fuel and wasting your own money, it's really not necessary. Modern diesels can start and stop just as easily as a gas vehicle. In fact, I'd argue that they might actually start better one they're warm .

In the winter time, that's a different story, most of us leave our cars running to keep the heat when we go into a store for beer or even filling gas.

By law, in my state all vehicles must be turned off in order to pump gas legally.