New here and new z turn

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Joetee, May 9, 2019.

1. Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

I bought my first ztr. Nightmare trying to not year up the grass.

2. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Just take your time until you get used to it. Look for some youtube videos on how to make your turns. Slow 3pt turns should be used instead of tight turns. Also you might consider getting different rear tires, stock turf tires spin and slide way too easy. I am a big advocate of AT 101 tires if they make them in the size that you need.

With some practice and some better tires you will get used to it and will be treading lightly in no time.

3. 40acres76

40acres76 LawnSite Member

Like Mumblngboutmowers said, take your time and try some 3pt turns and you’ll get the hang of it. Soon it will become 2nd nature to you.

4. OP
    OP
    Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

Thanks you guys.
    I read here yesterday about turning around trees and it helped a lot. I was spinning around. Now I'm doing a Y turn when going around the trees. Big difference and faster as well. I'll have a look at the tires.
    Pro Z 560L KW
    I mow 5 acres for myself every week. 4 acres pasture, 1 acre lawn.
    3 point turn at the end of my roll strips for now on. Thanks

hort101 and Mumblingboutmowers like this.
  5. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Member

I learned on a Walker. You steer those with one hand, which makes them really sensitive. Be glad you're learning on a regular ZTR. (Don't get me wrong. I love Walkers. They're just hard to learn.)

6. OP
    OP
    Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

Question about the AT 101 tires on a ZTR. Will they tear up the grass less or more than stock tires?

7. JoeCheap

JoeCheap LawnSite Member

Hi. I bought a pro z 554 kw that I've used just this season. Mines got the 27 kw. How are you liking it so far? Biggest gripe I have is it is a gas hog. I have some that are bi weekly mows as well and it seems the power is lacking a little when it gets into the thick clover.

8. OP
    OP
    Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

I'm really liking the pro Z 556. But I have never been on a zero turn until now. I was using a Cub cadet 2000 series lawn tractor. That wore me down and got tired real easy. Couldn't mow more than 2 hrs at a time.
    This 560 ztr is really nice. I don't get very tired after 3 hrs. Haven't had the weather yet to do the complete 5 acres none stop yet. Only had it for 6 days. LOL

9. JoeCheap

JoeCheap LawnSite Member

What size engine? I've got about 50 hrs on mine already. I have my own lawn Care business. I can't get the hours meter to stop telling me it's time to change the oil and lube. I've done both and from what I read it's supposed to stop reminding after 5 hrs. I changed the oil almost 40 hrs ago. Lol. It gets more use than my walk behind.

10. OP
    OP
    Joetee

Joetee LawnSite Member

27 horse. I think my oil indicator is doing the same.