1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

New here

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LapTraffic, May 13, 2004.

1. LapTraffic

LapTraffic LawnSite Member

Hi, I just registered and while I dont have a Lawn care company I figured the best information for taking care of my property would be from the people who do this professionally.

I have 5 acres, 1 acre is irrigated lawn around the house, the rest is under development, ranging from recently leveled to heavily wooded.

I'm really new to actually caring about how my lawn looks. I guess digging 2500 feet of ditch through rocky soil for your sprinkler lines will do that to a guy... Anyway< while I have the desire to make my lawn look nice I have almost no knowledge in how to do so.

Last year I started getting brown patches, I thought my sprinklers weren't aligned right, I watered and adjusted and watered and watered some more.... I had mushrooms growing in direct sunlight in the middle of august and probably the healthiest crane fly breeding ground on record!

Despite my best efforts my lawn survived.

I buy most of my stuff from a local comercial supplier, Wilbur Ellis. Fertilizer, Weed and Feed Seed etc. The problem I am facing now is weed control and erradication.

I have a ton of weeds in my lawn. Clover, dandilion, and meriad others that I dont know names for. Outside the lawn I have Scotch Broom, thistle, black berry etc (Western Washington)

I spot sprayed the lawn and the border areas with Crossbow at a friends recommendation. I dont know of results yet.

For total eradication in the gravel driveway I sprayed White distilled vinegar, again at a friends recommendation. Very satisfying results, though I fear they will be short lived.

What I'm looking for is real advice. I want to kill the weeds in my lawn and I want to control the weed growth in the border areas and in my driveway.

Is crossbow the way to go? will I need to reapply frequently? What won't it control?

Thanks for your help, this looks like a great site.