• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

New Hire test

tdoeizreal

LawnSite Senior Member
Does anyone have a test they give to applicants to judge basic math and/or problem solving skills to be completed with their application? Calculating mix or application rates, how to measure square footage, or things like that. I feel this would be a good way to weed out some of those that may not be the best fit for the job.

Frank Fescue

LawnSite Senior Member
I give my new hire a general English test, and if they show a reasonable comprehension of the English language than "see you later". I have zero interest in taking on an employee who can understand customers and has to be convinced to play dumb when customers start asking questions.

Its also beneficial that they lack any understanding of laws and regulations.

Green Mentorship

LawnSite Senior Member
Does anyone have a test they give to applicants to judge basic math and/or problem solving skills to be completed with their application? Calculating mix or application rates, how to measure square footage, or things like that. I feel this would be a good way to weed out some of those that may not be the best fit for the job.
We do a couple tests at the end of their training period. If they pass, they get a route. If they fail, we train them some more on the areas they were weak in and retest. If they didn't retain anything, or can't pass ever, that shows us a bigger problem.

Edit: your interviewing process should weed out the poor candidates such that you shouldn't need to do a pre hire test. We've never found the need as our HR lady does a great job screening candidates.

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
I don’t currently have a tech but will be looking in the future. With the labor market it’s gonna be a slow process to find the right guy.

I think you are looking more for personality and habits instead of experience. Can they problem solve? Maybe put specific info in job ad like reply to ad with subject lawn tech 2021?

I sometimes get the feeling with indeed that people “bulk apply” to anything. Maybe it proves they are actively looking to stay in unemployment?

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
I give my new hire a general English test, and if they show a reasonable comprehension of the English language than "see you later". I have zero interest in taking on an employee who can understand customers and has to be convinced to play dumb when customers start asking questions.

Its also beneficial that they lack any understanding of laws and regulations.

WOW a blast from the Past. Good to once again read Frank Fescue's word of wisdom.

FYI I am looking for a part time helper. That person should be looking for a career in pest control and want to get the Florida CPO license. I need them to work with me two to 4 days a month pulling spray hose since I am a senior citizen. At the same time they will get on job training. Yes English is a must as well as math skills for mixing chemicals. Of course you half to live near me in SWFL.