1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

New house, 19 acres, bad grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by goodgame, Apr 4, 2007.

1. goodgame

goodgame LawnSite Member

Ok, I am about to close on our dream home... our first home. 19.5 acres, pond, all it's missing is the shop. Did I mention 19.5 acres? Not all of it is mowable, probably 8 or so is wooded. The rest, well, the grass is ugly. Lots of weeds, and nothing that looks like they ever tried to get a uniform looking grass going. Obviously, I will have to invest in a good mower, and am researching that right now.... any suggestions are certainly welcome.

The main question, where do I start in turning this into the yard we want? I know it takes time, but I also know that one can waste a lot of time and money doing things in the wrong order, etc. Anyone have experience turning over a mess of clumps of weeds into a backyard paradise?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

2. goodgame

goodgame LawnSite Member

Forgot to post pics of the mess :)

IMGP0830.jpg

IMGP0829.jpg

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Start with a good chemical program. Get rid of the weeds and then concentrate on getting grass in there.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

BTW, awesome looking place!

5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

You need a small tractor with a finish mower. The tractor will last you a lifetime while maintaining a good resale value. You can buy a buy a new finish mower for every 8 to 10 years for a lot less than a top of the line riding or zero turn mower. I live in a few miles from Batesville.

6. goodgame

goodgame LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info... I will do some research on chemicals, etc.

Would something like a Kubota BX series be enough tractor, or should I go bigger? The cost differences can be significant, but like you said, if it lasts a lifetime, no worries. I do intend to put in a garden, so eventually would want something to turn the ground with. I have a walk behind rear tine tiller now, so that plan is optional.

7. hmartin

I have no experience with the Kubota BX line, they look a little small, but as long as you can pull a 5 foot finish mower, you will be fine.

8. hmartin

I have no experience with the Kubota BX line, they look a little small, but as long as you can pull a 5 foot finish mower, you will be fine. You are never going to afford to have a lawn care company spray that much acreage, so I suggest getting a small spray rig for your tractor. A lot of land in this area needs lime, so you may want check the soil ph.

9. goodgame

goodgame LawnSite Member

I will have that checked when I get there, we close on the 26th of April. I will visit some of the dealers around, what part of the state are you in?

I need to figure out where to get soil checked, my list of things to do is growing... but I intend to enjoy turning this place around. The pond is fully stocked, so it is all going to be worth it!

Is there a specific tractor you like?

10. hmartin

On Eureka Street, just up from Dunlap and Kyle, there is a county extension office that will give you the info for sending in a soil test to Miss. State. It cost 6 bucks.