Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PJ,

I just took delivery of my new Super Z 31/60. WOW!!!
Question - when i go to change the motor oil for the first time, 8hours, is it ok to use synthetic oil like Mobil 1 5W30 or to use a conventional straight
HD30 oil? What is Hustler's preference? This baby is new and purring like a kitten and I want to keep her that way.

Bill*trucewhiteflag*

· Registered
9,917 Posts
PJ,

I just took delivery of my new Super Z 31/60. WOW!!!
Question - when i go to change the motor oil for the first time, 8hours, is it ok to use synthetic oil like Mobil 1 5W30 or to use a conventional straight
HD30 oil? What is Hustler's preference? This baby is new and purring like a kitten and I want to keep her that way.

Bill*trucewhiteflag*
Congrats on the new ride !!
I wouldn't switch to synthetic until after about 50 hours, that engine needs to break in on conventional oil.
Look in your owners manual / package for oil recommendation for your needs.
I would also ask the dealer what he uses, some areas are different.
30hd or 10w30 may fit your needs.

Pj

· Registered
193 Posts
AMSOIL use it it is better then them all!!

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PJ,

I do not see any instructions in the manual on leveling the deck. Where can I find info on this for future reference.

Thanks

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are in the back of the parts manual.
You can download the parts manual for free from the link in my signature.
Hope this helps.

Pj
PJ,

I notice that the throttle control is extremely hard to push forward. Do you know if this is normal for the 31hp kaw. Dealer did try to loosen it up but really not much difference.
Bill

· Registered
9,917 Posts
PJ,

I notice that the throttle control is extremely hard to push forward. Do you know if this is normal for the 31hp kaw. Dealer did try to loosen it up but really not much difference.
Bill
The cable routing on that particular engine is a bit different than our other models.
How hard are we talking? have you compared it to another 31 at the dealer?
Let me know.

Pj

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will have to check to see if they have another with a 31hp, but I don't think he does. The cable is hard engouht that I am concerned about breaking something. From half throttle to full requires a great amount of effort. How should I handle this if the dealer does not have another? Is there a local fractory rep that can look at it? Please advise.
Regards,
Bill

· Registered
9,917 Posts
I will have to check to see if they have another with a 31hp, but I don't think he does. The cable is hard engouht that I am concerned about breaking something. From half throttle to full requires a great amount of effort. How should I handle this if the dealer does not have another? Is there a local fractory rep that can look at it? Please advise.
Regards,
Bill
The dealer can get a hold of our regional service manager and get it checked out and find out what the problem is.

Pj

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer can get a hold of our regional service manager and get it checked out and find out what the problem is.

Pj
PJ,

I talked with the dealer (Woodward Outdoor Equipment) and Chris stated that he did have another unit that was somewhat difficult as well. Not shure if it was as hard as my unit or not. But is does seem as though it is two for two. Is this due to the cable or engine or angle of the cable? Would a new cable make a difference?

Bill

· Registered
176 Posts
Among the problems that I have had w/ my 31's this one was resolved by my dealer replacing the cable assy and rerouting it. It must vary from m/c to m/c because it only was a problem on one of them. It was nice however, to be able to tell the mowers apart by the bungy cord on the throttle of one them all summer.

· Registered
9,917 Posts
PJ,

I talked with the dealer (Woodward Outdoor Equipment) and Chris stated that he did have another unit that was somewhat difficult as well. Not shure if it was as hard as my unit or not. But is does seem as though it is two for two. Is this due to the cable or engine or angle of the cable? Would a new cable make a difference?

Bill
It could be any of the above.
Has the dealer looked at it to make sure its not pinched or kinked?
I was running some 31's this week and did not notice a problem with it.

Pj

· Registered
176 Posts
I wish I had looked to see if the cables on mine were routed the same way or not. I was having trouble with the throttle backing down about 500 r's so thats what the bunge was for. The new cable they put on has a slightly different lever and it works nice. They look to be routed the same now, but could be slightly different behind the cover on the tank.?

· Registered
9,917 Posts
I wish I had looked to see if the cables on mine were routed the same way or not. I was having trouble with the throttle backing down about 500 r's so thats what the bunge was for. The new cable they put on has a slightly different lever and it works nice. They look to be routed the same now, but could be slightly different behind the cover on the tank.?
I am not aware of a cable change.
I wouldn't think there is anything new under the cover.
I will ask though.

Pj

1 - 14 of 14 Posts