Lawn Care Forum banner

New in biz - truck, trailer, or van???

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  billc 
#1 ·
I'm starting this season, and want to get the best for my buck.

Factors: I'll need to rent a storage unit for equip, or park at my apt complex (thieves possible?). Also, this will be the fams second vehicle so having it available off-hours is relevant. I have never bought/owned a truck beofre so have no idea which models/engine sizes are better/worse.

Option One: Get a pickup (need suggestions as to which would be best) and modify it to be a flatbed (not sure what mower(s) I'll have, but is the regular bed big enough for any commercial mowers?)

Downside: Need to load/offload equip daily to use truck otherwise.

Option Two: Truck and trailer. Keep trailer with equipment on it in storage unit.

Downside: Backing a trailer into a storage unit????

Option Three: An enclosed truck or van. Eliminates need for storage unit (?) What models do you recommend?

Downside: Carrying everything with me everywhere.

I'm open to other options......

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have the money I would go with a truck and trailer. An enclosed trailer sounds like it would be ideal for you becuase you wouldn't have to unload it every night, just find a place to park it and lock it up. What kind of equipment are you going to be using? Have you already bought the equipment? I don't really know what size truck or trailer to tell you to buy if I don't know how much stuff you have. If it were me I would go with a F-250 and a 8x16 foot enclosed trailer. This route with an enclosed trailer and bigger truck will be expensive so it all comes down to how much you want to spend in the long run. If you have a storage place that you can put an open trailer, go with one of those, they are less expensive.

#3 ·
Option Two: Truck and trailer. Keep trailer with equipment on it in storage unit.

Downside: Backing a trailer into a storage unit????

---------------

another downside to the truck and flat trailer is theft. you working on the back while somebody upfront taking off with your equipment.

Go with an enclosed trailer.......if you wanna see what kinda truck I use email me and I can send a pic

chursey@carolina.rr.com

#4 ·
Originally posted by ECM LAWN
If you have the money I would go with a truck and trailer. An enclosed trailer sounds like it would be ideal for you becuase you wouldn't have to unload it every night, just find a place to park it and lock it up. What kind of equipment are you going to be using? Have you already bought the equipment? I don't really know what size truck or trailer to tell you to buy if I don't know how much stuff you have. If it were me I would go with a F-250 and a 8x16 foot enclosed trailer. This route with an enclosed trailer and bigger truck will be expensive so it all comes down to how much you want to spend in the long run.
Don't have all the equipment nailed down. Looking at a 52" eXmark ZTR, so that'll be the biggest space hog. It'll just be me and my wife working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.