Lawn Care Forum banner

New Jersey GUys/ North East.. PLease read

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  thes 
#1 ·
Hey guys. As we all know the weather in NJ and the rest of the North East has been pretty *****. When you guys go and put out your flyers/doorhangers? I was planning on doing it 2 weeks ago, but we have had nothing but cold weather and snow. Did any of you guys start putting up your advertising yet? Also, is now a good time to put up an add in the papers? Thanks in advance - Peter

#3 ·
I usually waited until the weather was starting to turn nice, when people were starting to think about their yards. I just felt (my opinion) that if the flyers went out too early, people would just trash them. There are always the people who plan ahead and are looking for a new service, but there are also those who wait until the middle of April to make arrangements :dizzy:

#4 ·
AL Inc said:
I usually waited until the weather was starting to turn nice, when people were starting to think about their yards. I just felt (my opinion) that if the flyers went out too early, people would just trash them. There are always the people who plan ahead and are looking for a new service, but there are also those who wait until the middle of April to make arrangements :dizzy:
I would think that waiting till the middle of april is a little late. I am usually doing spring clean-ups by then.. I hear next week its suppose to be in the 50's.

#6 ·
I am putting out 10,000 flyers this Sunday. I hope all works out with it, its my first time so who knows. I just can't sit still anymore. I need to do something. I was thinking of maybe putting them off for a week though just in case homeowners may still be in winter mode seeing snow. I don't know yet.

#7 ·
Flipperneck said:
I am putting out 10,000 flyers this Sunday. I hope all works out with it, its my first time so who knows. I just can't sit still anymore. I need to do something. I was thinking of maybe putting them off for a week though just in case homeowners may still be in winter mode seeing snow. I don't know yet.
I feel the same way. I can't wait to go and put them out. But, i don't want to do it to early, and i don't want to wait to late. Should i be putting up the adds in the local paper now? Just incase someone is looking?

#8 ·
Petr51488 said:
I would think that waiting till the middle of april is a little late.
I don't think it's too late. As I've said before, a lot of people start doing their lawns themselves because they are just happy to get outside after winter. Then when it starts getting hot, they are ready to hire someone.
Also, a lot of people may have hired another lawn service, and end up not being happy with them, or they just stop showing up, so the homeowner needs to find someone else.

My first year, I got a late start and didn't even start putting flyers out until late April and continued through June. I got the usual 1-2% response rate, same as every year since then.

#9 ·
gogetter said:
I don't think it's too late. As I've said before, a lot of people start doing their lawns themselves because they are just happy to get outside after winter. Then when it starts getting hot, they are ready to hire someone.
Also, a lot of people may have hired another lawn service, and end up not being happy with them, or they just stop showing up, so the homeowner needs to find someone else.

My first year, I got a late start and didn't even start putting flyers out until late April and continued through June. I got the usual 1-2% response rate, same as every year since then.
Good Point..

#14 ·
hey pete,

im in the same boat. i am in the process of making 10,000 flyers. last year was my first year and i didn't even buy my truck til april6th. even with that i was getting around a 2.5% response. it was great. i think you should wait. i understand your getting antsy, so am i. but if you go out too early, no one will even have the mind set for a landscaping and throw it out. then you'll be kicking yourself when you only get a few calls back. i would wait till almost all the snow is off the ground and you hear birds chirping. thats when people like being outside and start thinking about outside. now is too early. its killing me but i have to wait. for the guy who said he was handing out 10,000 flyers this sunday, what is your method of distribution and whats your cost of both the flyers and distributing them.

#15 ·
CelticGreens said:
hey pete,

im in the same boat. i am in the process of making 10,000 flyers. last year was my first year and i didn't even buy my truck til april6th. even with that i was getting around a 2.5% response. it was great. i think you should wait. i understand your getting antsy, so am i. but if you go out too early, no one will even have the mind set for a landscaping and throw it out. then you'll be kicking yourself when you only get a few calls back. i would wait till almost all the snow is off the ground and you hear birds chirping. thats when people like being outside and start thinking about outside. now is too early. its killing me but i have to wait. for the guy who said he was handing out 10,000 flyers this sunday, what is your method of distribution and whats your cost of both the flyers and distributing them.
Now, the weather is doing good so far. THe temps are now finally at what their suppose to be. The problem is that their calling for snow towards the end of next week. When do you contact customers from the previous year to ask if they still would like to continue with your services. I wanted to target some nice homes that had landscapers last year.

#16 ·
I made my calls this past week. Everyone wants me back for another season, except for one who's wife wants to buy him a mower...he didn't sound too thrilled about it...so who knows, maybe I'll get a call back from them in the future.
I'm going to start on cleanups this coming week...and most likely start mowing at the beginning of April.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.