new jersey irrigation installation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jc1, Feb 13, 2002.

  1. jc1

    jc1 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,098

    Is the following information correct to get licensed to install irrigation or repair them in NJ. I was told you have to have worked for a contractor for 3 years and use them as a reference and you must pass a test. I was told you also must have your supplier submit a reference also.
    My buddy was telling me this and it seemed odd to me. Does anyone know if this is the case?
  2. steveair

    steveair LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,073

    Yes, sounds right. Except for the reference from the supplier.

  3. gusbuster

    gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,928

    Generaly speaking for all states, you have to have been working in that class of liscense for a certain amount of years(2 to 3 is the norm) and pass a written test.

    Some states like my state of California, allow you to work under a mentor liscens. The way it works is you have a sponser(who's already liscensed) sponser you for 2 year probation. If you had no problems, then you re-apply to get your new liscense with out taking the written exam. One of the requirements that you have to have is that you had worked in the classification for more than 5 years of at least a journeyman level.

    I am currently sponsering 1 other person now. This man decided to make out on his own after working for both my father and myself for 15 years.

  4. jc1

    jc1 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,098

    Thanks for your replies. It doesn't make sense to me to have the standards to get licensed for irrigation so high, while getting a one for pesticides only requires studying 2 books and passing a test. It is easier to get legal to spray chemicals then to spray water.
  5. HBFOXJr

    HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,712

    There are several ways to qualify to take a test. You do also have to submit proof of those qualifications.

    Call the NJ DEP at 609-777-1007 for current and proper info.

    The reason this is probably a little tougher is that there is so much more you need to know AND it involves working with a scarce controlled resource.
  6. jc1

    jc1 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,098

    Why I'm asking about the license is, we have been putting out door hangers I had made from nebs.Our area is somewhat spread out that we are targeting but there is alot of newer homes. We have been hanging them on the houses that the landscape is installed but could stand some maintenance. Mulch shrubs trimmed etc we looking for that type of work plus lawn cutting at this point.No where on our flyer does it say sprinkler systems or imply that we do them but sofar I have only gotten call wanting sprinkler system installs and sod or seeding with it. Sofar 5 calls in 1 week all work we cant legally do. The worst part about my area is no one returns calls so when I call a customer back they are all excited to here from me. I dep and they are sending me a packet but in talking to them sounds like I've got no chance unless I have 3 years under someone else.
  7. HBFOXJr

    HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,712

    There used to be educational requirements that could be substituted for apprentice time. Read carefully. Either way it won't happen this year.
  8. jc1

    jc1 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,098

    I stopped by my friends, he had sent for info from the dep several weeks back.I read through it you do need 3 years verified by your employer or 2 years if you have 150 hours college for it. Also you need an irrigation supplier to verify that the contractor has been buying materials from him and for how long.
  9. greasemonkey

    greasemonkey LawnSite Member
    Messages: 57

    wow, I guess state licensing standards differ quite a bit. In new york, you need a restriced plumber's licence which to be elegible to take the test for, you need to have 5 years worth of w-2's showing employment to a plumber and affidavits from that / those employers verifying that you were and employee. Here in michigan, as far as I can tell, you don't need a license to install / service sprinkller systems. You technically need to pull a permit for every alteration you make to a building's plumbing system, but you don't have to be a plumber to pull the permit most places. Code also requires that every testable backflow device be tested a the time of installation, so that means that the tag that came in the box doesn't count, but its not widely enforced. You guys in new jersey have it pretty good compared to new yorkers if all you need to have is three years of verifyable irrigation experience. Having tough licensing requiremets does not do anything to help poffesionalize the industry. By making getting a licence hard to get you just increase the number of people opperating without a licence. Having a large number of unlicensed contractors out there makes enforcement of codes and standards harder. If licences and regulations were easier to obtain / follow, more people would be likely to get them / follow them and it would be easir to keep track of contractors and to take action against those who do things improperly.

  10. jeffyr

    jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 876

    With all of that to do it's a wonder anybody new even installs irrigation. It seems an awefull lot of apprentice (poor wage) time. As was pointed out, it is easier to spray pesticides than water.


Share This Page