1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

New Lawn Bid for 2020

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Joana Williams, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

We just did a leaf removal for this client and they are asking a price to fix their lawn and grow grass.

I figured they would need some top soil installed for some low spots in the lawn. Some premium seed, aeration and a .25" compost top dressing & remove the moss.

Any suggestions?

1.jpg

2.jpg

2. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

The way I see it, you are going to need to tell them that it will need seeding in the spring AND again in the fall...CYA.

normally I do not like to do spring seeding in full sun areas unless it is absolutely necessary which appears to be your case. I would also apply a starter fertilizer at the same time. Some on your might tell you to hold off for six weeks before fertilizing. I always apply a starter fertilizer when I’m seeding a lawn. Since you live in New York, I’m guessing you’re going to need a license to apply the fertilizer, definitely so if you are applying any type of pesticide.

finally, make sure you leave adequate watering instructions and cutting guidelines unless you’re the one that’s doing the cutting

Cam15, KUMA01 and Joana Williams like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Joana Williams

Do you think top dressing the entire lawn lightly worth it with top soil? Or just work with existing soil

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  4. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Get a soil test first to see what type of soil you're working with. Amend as needed.

I don't do spring seeding...I explain what will most likely happen with spring seeding and offer zero guarantees on it.

Depending on soil samples the basics would be slit seed with a light overseeding with top dressing with an aerating and heavy overseeding in fall. More may be needed depending on the soil test results.

Give them a detailed watering schedule, and a mowing schedule.

5. OP
    OP
    Joana Williams

Any soil test kits you recommend? I've been trying to look for a good one, but I always find a lot of bad reviews or problems.

6. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

7. CCangler

CCangler LawnSite Member
    from MA

+1 on sending it out to a University. Gives you much more information than many of the home kits. Tested a few lawns maybe 5 years ago with the full nutrient kits available locally to see if they were useable in a pinch if time was an issue but all came back mildly different than the UMass report and generally 10 dollars ish more expensive.

A lot of it’s money benefits come from doing it for fert customers but definitely would use it for this as well. You’ll get macro and micro nutrient levels, salts, Ph, CEC. Just no moisture levels since atleast UMass asks it comes dried. Cornell would probably be a good start closer to you for a college that does them.

Dainius and Joana Williams like this.
  8. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, definitely check out your local county or city extension offices for the soil test.

Joana Williams likes this.