• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

New Lawn & Fert Truck idea

Complete Landscaping L.A

LawnSite Member
So I live in Los Angeles and if you know anything about LA is that houses are no bigger than a ford f350 , okay maybe im exagerating but they are small and front lawns are no bigger than 5ksqft, I just got my license I currently have a 2.4l 4cylinder rwd reg cab toyota tacoma 2001 I only plan on having a 100 gallon tank for fert and really spot treating with back pack, realistic??? Would a 2.7l manual prerunner tacoma regular cab be better since the payload is better (1600lbs)

Just a newb here looking for help, I’m all ears still learning

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
We will generally do around 20 to 30 apps a day, on days we do apps (I'm still building my biz, as I slowly get out of the mow side). I'm going to assume you mean a 100 gallon skid sprayer. Let's say you are spraying at 2gal per k, which is in my book what I like to do from the skid, you will get to do 10 jobs before you are out of blanket spray mix. What if you end up getting more lawns that are 7.5k. Now you are down to only being able to do around 7 ish jobs. Or in other words at 2 gal per k you're limiting yourself to just over one acre of turf. We also have a good number of 5k lawns. But they are mixed in with 15k. Also are you only going to spray fert? Any granular? How will you fill up your backpack? (Edit my numbers were off).

OP
Complete Landscaping L.A

Complete Landscaping L.A

LawnSite Member
We will generally do around 20 to 30 apps a day, on days we do apps (I'm still building my biz, as I slowly get out of the mow side). I'm going to assume you mean a 100 gallon skid sprayer. Let's say you are spraying at 2gal per k, which is in my book what I like to do from the skid, you will get to do 10 jobs before you are out of blanket spray mix. What if you end up getting more lawns that are 7.5k. Now you are down to only being able to do around 7 ish jobs. Or in other words at 2 gal per k you're limiting yourself to just over one acre of turf. We also have a good number of 5k lawns. But they are mixed in with 15k. Also are you only going to spray fert? Any granular? How will you fill up your backpack? (Edit my numbers were off).
fert, pre emergent and ill backpack spray pesticides and post emergents, I do plan on carrying a drop spreader, i plan on carrying like 3 jerry cans filled with 5 gallons of water each lol again im a noob i dont even have 1 account, I plan on charging around 50$ per property for a full service and with 10 properties a day which is what i want I can be profitable, properties are small out here so ill also offer pest control and such and a 12 month program, i wana use a tacoma with a 100gallon skid and carry some granular, this is a dumb question but can i use the same fert for st agustine and tall fescue???

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
We deal with mainly zoysia, bermuda and very little fescue. Fescue growing months are virtually opposite of the warm season turf. I don't take st augustine lawns. Very few around here and a number of chems used for weed control on bermuda and zoysia can't be used on St Augustine. But then that same applies for fescue lawns. Some products both post and pre that are perfectly fine on bermuda and zoysia would kill fescue as if it were a weed. Got to know your labels.

OP
Complete Landscaping L.A

Complete Landscaping L.A

LawnSite Member
We deal with mainly zoysia, bermuda and very little fescue. Fescue growing months are virtually opposite of the warm season turf. I don't take st augustine lawns. Very few around here and a number of chems used for weed control on bermuda and zoysia can't be used on St Augustine. But then that same applies for fescue lawns. Some products both post and pre that are perfectly fine on bermuda and zoysia would kill fescue as if it were a weed. Got to know your labels.
mostly warm season grass out here (agustine and bermuda) but tall fedcue grows out here year round ( maybe granular tall fescue)

still in the baby stages just passed my tests 1week ago, looking at pulling ghe trigger on ghis northern tool 100 gallon skid sprayer ($2400)

also another dumb question but i plan to carry an electric blower cus in my mind i can possibly spray with leaves on the turf....am i right or?

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
100 gal is tiny, especially for liquid fert. At 2gal/1000 that's only 50k/day. Id want to be at 2.5gal/1000 at least for liquid fert.

Why not granular and fill that tank with herb? Or use it as a nurse tank and get 2x electric back packs. Put 2x holders in the side rails and leave the back open for granular..

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
You should bring a blower, but if your doing granular you'd need it for blowing off fert, not blowing leaves.

We are 100% liquid, if there is to many leaves we push granular, never blow off a lawn

You WILL need to use granular at some point for insect or specialty stuff, so you'll need a spreader anyways