1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Lawn Service

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Koiboi123, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Koiboi123

Koiboi123 LawnSite Member

Hi, I am from central New Jersey, and i'm looking to start a lawn care bizz. I have about 2000$ saved to buy a pretty good walk behind and a backpack blower. I have the edger and weedwacker already. I have some questions on what kind of mower and blower i should get. Toro, Scag, John Deere, Hustler, or Gravely. For the blower Redmax, Stihl, Echo, Homeilite. Any other suggestions will be appreaciated.

Ryan

1 21" cut MTD 6.5hp

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a JD gs45 which is 48 inch cut and love it. Go with an echo trimmer with the rapid loader

3. Koiboi123

How much is the John Deere? And the echo? Does the John Deere Have like a 42" or 44" cut?

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You're not going to be able to fit in many fence gates with a 48". So if you can only afford one mower, its gotta be a 36" (or 32"). As far as blowers go, I've used Stihl and Echo, like the Stihl better.

A new walk-behind is going to start over $2000, you might look into finding a decent used one.

5. Koiboi123

Ok thanks for the advice. I have a dealer that is right around the corner(hes a friend) He said he'll get me a new toro fixed deck 36" cut for 2000$ and a Stihl Magnum blower for around 250- 275$. Are these good deals?

6. Koiboi123

Come on I need some help here

7. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

id go with a redmax 7000 or 7001

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would take a look at the shindaiwa blowers. we have an eb501 and man that thing can blow. as for a mower I think that the quick 36 by better would be good for you.

here's the link. http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/

9. Koiboi123

Thanks, i'll look in to it. As far as the blower, I just bought the Shihl( for 225) I just need the mower.

10. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

where are you in NJ?