1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

new lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jlc31, Oct 2, 2003.

1. jlc31

jlc31 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I am installing two yards before winter. The problem is i never done it before. What seed to use. How much. Any fertilizer. Will it be to cold to come up in ohio. All other things I need to know to install a new lawn. Please Help
    Thanks
    Jeff Smith
    Jeff's Lawn & Landscape

2. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

Jeff,
    I just did my first lawn install today and if you don't have any idea what you are doing, you might want to give it to someone who knows. I am in WI and we use a 50/50 seed mix (50% kentucky blue/ 50% rye) I would assume you could use the same, The application rate should be on the bag (we use 4 lbs per thousand)
    Use a good starter fertilizer with a high middle number ( 18-24-12) You should talk to Lesco or somone that can tell you. Are you seeding with a seeder? what are you going to work the soil with? Just don't plan on showing up with a rake and some seed. As far as timing I don't know what the temps are out there......We have a skid steer, harley rake and a brillion seeder and our first one was a little scary.

3. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Jeff,

Blue Moon gave you good advice. In Ohio, during the spring and fall I would go with a mix of Ryegrass, Fescue and Bluegrass. 50/20/30 +/- A Rye/Blue mix like BlueMoon suggested would also be good. For a few dollars worth of seed I would suggest a little higher seeding rate with the rye in the mix. Probably at least 6 pounds per 1000. A straight blue grass could be seeded at 4 pounds per 1000, A straight rye would be about 7-8 pounds per 1000. With a blend I would go in between. In July and August I would suggest a 3 way rye mix which will produce a beautiful lawn. Normally you would have a lot of time to seed. This seems like it is going to be an early and nasty winter. Our high temp yesterday on the Ohio/PA border was 25 degrees less than in Fairbanks AK I usually seed until Early November, but may quit two weeks early this year.

Lesco would be a good source of seeds since they are based in Ohio, There are a lot of other good sources too such as Green Velvet in Dayton or Seeds Ohio in W Jefferson and lots more.

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

5. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

i think that the rate that you should sow strait bluegrass is 1.5-3.0 #s per 1000 sq.ft. This information was from Leso's suggested seeding rate.:D