1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Lazer Z?? Which One?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wish list, Apr 4, 2007.

1. wish list

wish list LawnSite Member

Newbie looking for some help. I've scoured this site (great site with lots on info) the best that I can and have decided on a Lazer Z. My local dealer who sells JD, Emark and Toro has quoted me a few choices.

1. 07 Model Lazer Z 60" with either 28 Kaw or 27 Kohler for $9328 delivered.

2. 06 Model Lazer Z 60" with 30 hp Kohler $9100 delivered. Deck mods have been done on this unit.

3. JD 757 25 hp Kaw 60" $8400 delivered.

I test drove the Z and JD and felt the Z was much more responsive and very smooth. I'm leaning towards the 28 Kaw even though I have never owned a Kaw before. Had an 18 hp Kohler that was a tank. Ran it for 14 years, never once failed, leaked oil or anything. Just backfired even when I let it idle before shutdown. I do loike the Scag Wildcat as well but no dealer close and they seemed higher. Also, I like the horitonal engine in the Z...

Any help would be appreciated, now if I can just find a $250 referal. I did call Exmark and these were only given out to homeowners. She basically said "tuff luck" if you don't know anybody with one. What a bummer!!!!

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't go with the '06.

The 28 Kawi really isn't proven yet, though, on paper it looks like a solid performer with it's larger displacement.

The 27 Kohler is a 27 Kohler. Good reputation. Decent power.

The 25 Kawi really isn't in the same league.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The 28 Kawasaki, like TLS said, is a new engine with no reputation. I would stay away from a first year engine until you know that all the bugs are worked out. From the list, I would say go with the '07 with 27hp Kohler.

4. mike72

mike72 LawnSite Member

I just ordered a 07 lazer Z with 27hp kholer, mulch kit installed, light kit installed, and delivered for 10K including tax. I am signing papers this Fri. I too did some intense research and determined the 27 kholer is the best choice.

5. wish list

wish list LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll have a few more days before I need it. It's 24 degrees outside and snowing. I do like the Kohler as well, Bob

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to to the odd man out here...I would go with the Ultracut deck...with the 28 Kawi.