1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

New Mower Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MDLawn, Sep 9, 2009.

1. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry if this question has been asked at one point or another. When you guys get new mower blades do you sharpen them before putting them on? They look a little dull to me and just wanted to see what everyone else does.

Thanks guys!

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I do, razor sharp.....

3. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

the answer is no

4. esparzalandscaping

esparzalandscaping LawnSite Member

depends on the manufacturer of the blade... for example, Stens blades for come pre sharpened but Oregon blades don't...

5. Bob_n_weave

Bob_n_weave LawnSite Senior Member

I do not sharpen new blades. I do check the balance.

6. AmGreen

AmGreen LawnSite Senior Member

why would you? a razor sharp blade will dull much faster than one with a small flat area at the cutting point. call the manufacturer and ask them...i'm sure they know.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Nada cuts great out of the box

8. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

Our blades are milled to approximately a .030" thick cutting edge(without paint). The paint does add to the edge but wears off quickly. The razor sharp edge does tend to curl under quicker and give a dull rounded edge much sooner than the "thicker" edge.

9. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I did buy Oregon blades so your suggestion is to just use them and let the paint wear off?

Thanks

10. Oregon OEP

Oregon OEP Sponsor

That is what we suggest but some will take the paint off the milled edge before they use the blade.