1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

New Mower Shaft or Belt Pertol or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Galashiels, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Galashiels

Galashiels LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new ZTR mower but are getting confused on all the options.
    Test drove the Super Z Diesel and what a machine loved it but as a down side it was big and very heavy 1850lb with 60" deck.
    The super Z 28/60 efi seams a good option but has belt drive and is that enough power? The engine is the same size as in my walker but is rated at 26 hp I run that with a 52" deck and it only just has enough power in long grass, and it only does 6 mph. Can't see how 28 (claimed) is enough with 15 mph! and 60"
    Also looking at the Kubota ZD28 shaft drive plenty of power (diesel) and only 1 belt the fan belt! Has anyone any opinions on the best option? Down here the Super Z is $24995 and the Kubota $29500 so serious money but I want something that is reliable and simple maintenance. Too many belts on the Hustler worries me but for $4000 + saving that helps my worry.
    Anyone know the differences in power loss with belts v's shaft v's hydraulic ?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 28hp EFI 60" is a awesome unit and you will find it to be very powerful.
    Only 2 belts on the whole mower also.

Pj

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, take a small trip across the creek mate $24,995 Geeeeeeeeeez:dizzy:
    There r easily better deals to be had than that price ,although exchange rate would have a little influence .

Belt drive is the least efficient although the use of an extra belt or 2 gets around this .This creates a larger than desired power transmission system .
    It is the cheapest to maintain and reliability is fair to average depending upon design .

Both shaft and hydraulic drives both last a lot longer than belts with the hydraulic being the most reliable and on a par with a shaft drive 4 rebuild cost .Power loss between the 2 depend on the pump and motors used on the hydraulic system .
    I would not purchase the zd kubota units with the earlier transmission ,it seems they r prone to failures at random. OK 4 councils /govt as they have deep pockets and sell when warranty is up . The later kubs boast about how the tranny is improved by eg 50% [that has to tell u some thing ]

tomo:waving:

4. Galashiels

Galashiels LawnSite Member

Yep the price we pay for living on the other side of the world. I get very envious at the prices over there and the selection.
    With the exchange rate so high had thought of importing a few mowers but most Dealers will not sell me a new unit for export! Then no warranty, so its pay up or go without.