• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New mower, should I drain the fuel?

Shasta Lake Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Picked up a mower a few weeks ago, and it has about 2 gallons of gas in it, and it was in there when they pulled it out of storage, so I don't know exactly how old it is. They say it's stable, and it doesn't smell too old to me, but I don't plan on using it for at least another month. Should I completely drain the old fuel and put fresh in when I am ready to do so? Or should I just run it a few minutes every week? What would you do?

ricky86

LawnSite Silver Member
Absolutely! Make sure to run it dry. After it stalls, put the choke on and cranks the s**t out of it. I've been draining everything that leaves the dealership. I add a stablelizer then run them dry. If your fuel is already "aged" I don't know how much the additive will help (If it help at all).

OP
S

Shasta Lake Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
I didn't put an additive in, I asked the dealer and he said the fuel they put in had stabilizer added when it was fresh, No idea when that was tho, so im definitely going to drain her.

betmr

LawnSite Bronze Member
If it were me, I would drain the gas, and use it up in my car or truck. Run the engine dry, and put a tablespoon of oil in the cylinders via the sparkplug holes, and turn the engine over a few times to coat the cylinder walls. put the plugs back in, and start fresh at the beginning of the season.