• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New mower, turning question

DirtRider

LawnSite Member
So I just bought a new Toro 48" floater with a hydro tranny. I used it for the first time last night and my question is how do you keep from tearing up the turf with this mammoth? At every corner it seemed as though chunks of turf were being ripped out? I tried "feathering" it in corners to minimize the damage but damn! Maybe I'll get the hang of it after a couple weeks and turf damage won't be a concern?

Other than that, what a bad ass machine! I sent out a mass text to friends about her including a pic and oddly enough, nobody seemed to share in my enthusiasm for my new girl?!:laugh: They said looks like work to me. Ahh if they only new, so much less work than before.:cool2:

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
Are you mowing a perimeter first before you start your lines?

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
It will take some time to get used to, but the main thing to remember is always keep both tires moving. If you are turning to the right and let the right tire stop and the left tire doing all the work, then the right tire is just going to twist on top of the turf. If the left is going forward and the right is going backwards then nothing can dig in. You will get it down with a little time.

OP
D

DirtRider

LawnSite Member
Cool thanks, Dawg. I figured it was probably just a matter of time getting used to it. Man it hauls ass! I need a sulky!

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
just to add to what turfdawg said, remember when you turn a corner you dont have to fully engage the handle of the direction you are turning. Just hold it down enough to make the turn. That should keep the tire from coming to a complete stop and then going backwards.

OP
D

DirtRider

LawnSite Member
In2mown, your sig line is awesome!! I have a growing collection of quotes on my office wall......I think yours just made the cut! Hahahahaha

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
OK thank you. I see it will take a little finess. I just need more hours behind it.

Right on. Its all about logging some hours behind the machine to get used to it. I switched to hydros 15 years ago and would never go back to a belt. Hydros save so much time its unbelievable.

In regards to a sulky. I would get one but only after you are comfortable with the machine. After that slide the lever all the way over and go to town!

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member