New mower. Which should I get Scag vs Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by AnythingCanHappe, Feb 15, 2018.

1. AnythingCanHappe

AnythingCanHappe LawnSite Member

Hello all. In the next month or so I will be looking at getting a new mower. I am either going to get the Scag Cheetah with the 31hp efi kohler or the Scag Tiger cat 2 with the 29hp efi kohler. Both 61'' deck and both with a bagger

I have searched and read many threads on this topic but not many comparing these two mowers. The Turf Tiger is off the list. The price is close to 3k more and the mower is just too heavy for my liking so dont even talk about that mower.

I currently have the tiger cat one. Works good for my needs and what not. The only thing I do not like about the tiger cats is that the rear wheels are close together. With the 61'' deck there is a lot of overhang on either side of the deck from the rear tires. What I dont like about that is due to mowing habits I feel like I don't get the full use of the 61'' deck with the way I follow for striping and what not. Another thing that bothers me is that the stripes left behind looked cramped so to speak because of the rear tires are so close.

So question is which would you get and why? pros and cons of going with one over the other?

2. Calmseas6

Calmseas6 LawnSite Member

Cant speak much to the Tiger Cat, but I have a 48 Cheetah that I love. Very comfortable mower. At work we have 3 61 Cheetahs and a 61 Turf Tiger. The Cheetahs always get picked over the Turf Tiger. They are used to mow ditches and retention ponds so they hold a hill well and do a great job in less than ideal circumstances. We have had them all for over 5 years which speaks to their durability given the hard use they suffer.

I would go Cheetah and enjoy the suspension smoothing out the ride some. YMMV

3. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely Cheetah.

We run Turf Tigers and Cheetahs. The Cheetah is an excellent machine. I actually prefer it over the Turf Tigers. And, like the other poster said, the Cheetah hangs hills better than the Turf Tiger.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why would Cheetah hang on hills better? I would guess that the TT foot print is wider, profile lower and tires wider. I mow pond hills and TT holds fine. Maybe extra weight causes it to slide more?

5. Calmseas6

Calmseas6 LawnSite Member

I agree with your sentiment, but I am here to tell you it seems to do better. I am the Stormwater manager and our people like the Cheetah more for the ride but I have run them both and the Cheetah seems to hold best. My guess is also weight. TT is an awesome machine, Id love to have one, but the Cheetah is an impressive and comfortable beast too. Even my 48 impresses me on hills and its a whole different beast. Stopping it on the way down a hill is another story...

6. dathorpe

I own both - Turf Tiger and Cheetah. The myth is that nothing holds hills like a Turf Tiger. But Anyone who has spent substantial time on both will tell you that the Cheetah holds hills better. I wouldn’t say a lot better... but definitely better. I think part of the reason is the TT runs a horizontal engine that sits a little higher whereas the Cheetah runs a vertical that sits a little closer to the ground.

ed2hess likes this.
  7. dathorpe

Oh yeah, that’ll clinch you up.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Last year I demo'd a TT II, a Cheetah, and a TC II and all on the same day. I'd take the TT II over the others hands down, but since that's out, of the two you are looking at, I'd get the Cheetah without a giving a second thought to it. IMO, it is far superior to the TC II for handling and ride, not to mention engine options. The TC II felt rough on the ride and seemed to be way too easy to break the rear tires loose with. Plus, I felt cramped up on it compared to the other two.

9. dathorpe

I used to prefer the Turf Tigers over the Cheetahs... but as time went by, I changed my mind. I guess the Cheetah is more of an acquired taste. Might have something to do with filling up in the morning and then running the rest of the day without having to refill. They're both excellent machines. If you ran a poll of my employees, it'd probably split 50/50.

Side note, I don't care for TTII. Gadgety stuff like "Tigers Eye". Not my cup o' tea. Maybe that'll change someday.

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

No, I don't need all the gadgets like you said, but I like the 26" tires for ride and traction, and I just feel much more room to get comfortable on the TT. I also like seeing the trim side without having to lean forwards any, which I do on the Cheetah with the seat all the way back where I keep it. The biggest thing for me was the traction though. I never had the TT spin in tight turns or three points unless I actually made it do it, while the Cheetah would, and especially the TC did it quite easily. There was a place near a tree where the roots were right on the surface, so I ran all three over to that spot before giving them back, and both the Cheetah and like I said, the TC II would snag a front caster tire on a root and the rear would spin when trying to maneuver around, but the TT II didn't, which really impressed me. I know my JD would have been about like the Cheetah turned out to be in the same spot. I was purposefully looking to see whether the Cheetah and the TT would be better as I have several places where I can't avoid the same problems on a few different properties. It just seemed/felt that the TT trans were smoother in control and could apply the power smooth and gradually compared to the Cheetah or my JD in that situation. I couldn't tell any difference in the ride of the Cheetah and TT II once I had the seat and platform dialed in for my weight, but I realize that could be completely different under other circumstances/conditions or terrain.