• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New or old trucks & gas mileage

tjg

LawnSite Member
I have had and do have a old and new truck. Right now I have a 99' Chevy 3/4ton 4x4 Ex.cab short bed w/ the 366 or 6.0 liter engine that get 7 to 8 mpg loaded or empty, also have a 85' Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 that gets 7-8 mpg all the time and doesn't have a $600.00 monthly payment. Tried a brand new Dodge 24 valve 2 wheel drive Quad cab short bed w/ 5-spd that got around 12-14 mpg loaded it was a 99' model trade it for the Chevy because I had 3 99' before. I pull a 20' bumper and 24' gooseneck trailer, only once I pulled both at the same time, the bumper trailer weighs around 5500 or so w/o grass clippings, and in the beds of the trucks I have 3 tool boxes which all together might be 1000lbs. Would like to know if you guys prefer a good old truck or a newer truck and the fuel mileage. Thinking of bidding on a 95-96 Ford F-350 sigle wheel 4x4 w/utility bed that is coming up at our Kay Electric Co-op (rural electric company) would change the bed to a flat bed, last year the sold one for $9600 w/bed, it does have around 120,000 miles on it. They get new trucks often it is getting replaced w/a SuperDuty Crew Cab w/utility bed, the have about a dozen of these trucks. Any comments help and thanks.

DMC300

LawnSite Senior Member
I HAVE A 99'CHEVY 1/2 TON,I WILL BE BUYING AN OLDER MODEL AS SOON AS FINANCES PERMIT.HOPING TO GO WITH A CAB-OVER LANDSCAPE DUMP.THE MILEAGE NOW IS ABOUT 8-10MPG LOADED.

yardsmith

LawnSite Senior Member
All I can afford at this time is my '87 Silverado 4x4. Had the engine rebuilt this spring, & it seems each season something needs done. Once I get it ALL done, I'll be ok; I'm just doing all the previous' owner's neglected maint. up keep.<br>BE SURE & do this type of search on the snowplowing forum; we had a discussion just like this this past Jan. or Feb. with alot of replies.<br>In the next year or 2, I plan (hope) to lease a new Dodge 3/4 ton truck- payments are only 260 or so a month; that's hard to beat! Plus it's a writeoff.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

Jason

LawnSite Senior Member
1978 F250 Supercab 4x4, mildly built 460, c-6, 205 t-case, Dana 60's front and rear, 1 ton springs. 35&quot; tires. Eight mpg laden or unladen, 55 mph or 80 mph just doesn't matter always get's 8 mpg.