• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New or Used?

Mow Money Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
This is a general question, I don't have any particular purchase in mind, however, I am curious to know what your thoughts are on purchasing new or used equipment.

I have always bought new equipment because I am afraid that if I buy something used, it will just break down on me. Also, there is a warranty when you buy new. Buying used is cheaper, especially if you get lucky and get a really nice piece of equipment for much cheaper than retail. I'd like to save some money by purchasing used, but is it worth it?

What are your opinions on the matter, do you buy new or used? ...and why?

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
It is totally dependent on your situation and what you want/can responsibly do financially. I bought a brand new ztr because of the attractive, nearly free loan that came along with buying an exmark. I like buying the main mowers brand new, ones used for backups or backyards can be bought used. Had good luck buying small used equipment and trucks, got burned on a $10k jet ski that was used while the one my buddy bought on the same trailer is perfectly fine....no one has the right answer for buying new or used, just depends what you want and can do financially.

OP
M

Mow Money Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
That makes sense, buy new for something you fully rely on, and used for something you don't use much but need. I may be buying a 36" mower for backyards because the one I have now is old and hard to operate, I was considering a new one that I know will last for many years, but maybe a used one that isn't too old will work just fine because I will not be using it as much. It is possible that I will have more use for the machine in the future though, so maybe a new one will be more beneficial. I have never bought a new truck, but I am considering a new f250 this year unless I can find a 2008-2009 with low mileage. I would feel more comfortable buying something used if I know the person selling, because you never know what they did to it or how they used it.

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
For a small backyard mower like a 36", I doubt Ill ever buy new again. A new dual hydro 36" is 5k and they are always on here in mint condition for 3500-4k barely used.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
First, and foremost, if you can't pay cash then you don't need it! I buy all the small equipment( blowers, trimmers, chain saws, hedge trimmers, etc.) new. The larger stuff (WBs, tractors, trucks) I buy used, let someone else take the hit on the sticker price. Now when buying used you have to look at more than just what you are buying. Most take the time to pretty up what they are selling. Look around the shop, if it looks taken care of, then most likely the equipment will be. If you keep your equipment maintained and pay attention to what each piece is "telling" you, then it wont let you down anymore than new. I've read many posts here about new stuff breaking. When I buy a truck, I look for something about 5 years old with about 90k miles. The reason is a lot of stuff breaks around 50k-75k. The same applies to used trucks as equipment, buying new doesn't guarantee it won't break. after a year or so with new, you will be fixing things not covered by warranty anyway! Just how I do things, may not work for anyone else.