New policy: no more free analysis(s)

Efficiency

Banned
I talked this over today and its going into effect tomorrow: we are no longer going to be giving free lawn analysis(s) or evaluations. If they want our opinion, they can have it when we are there for their first paid app.

Ive sold over 100 new clients this spring, all over the phone. Yet I waste 6 hours my time & 10 gal gas for a small handful of clients who want site visits only to have the tires kicked? Homey dont play that.

Good luck to those of you who continue to do so.

kbrashears

LawnSite Senior Member
Good luck to you. Personally, I like to build my business on relationships and honesty. Many of my customers have no idea what type of grass they have to begin with. There are more factors than raw square footage for my company. I would never give a price over the phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
Efficiency

Efficiency

Banned
Good luck to you. Personally, I like to build my business on relationships and honesty. Many of my customers have no idea what type of grass they have to begin with. There are more factors than raw square footage for my company. I would never give a price over the phone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you really have time to meet with all your leads (or pay someone to do so)? I know I have not the time, desire, or money to pay a clown to drive and meet with every lead. Besides, we live in an "instant" society where people want to do business yesterday. Close'm while they are hot (hint: first contact).

Aside from sq ft, what are your cost drivers??? :confused:

Last edited:

kbrashears

LawnSite Senior Member
Your market is nothing like mine. I have four turf types. I charge more if the lawn is a pita. I need to see what needs to be done before I commit to something. If a Bermuda lawn is full of broadleaf weeds, no problem. If it's full of tttf, bluegrass, and nutsedge, well, that's a problem. An expensive one. I bid both completely different.

Furthermore, I have the best customer service, bar none. That will never change. If rather make a lot of money off someone over a long period of time than a little money over a short time.
Posted via Mobile Device

But here's the reality......
what if you find a compromise regarding service

I don't know about you, but I drive a truck which doesn't get great gas mileage. In the bay area, we are just under 5 bucks a gallon.

At 35 to 45 an hour,
How do you recover:::::
lost time
cost of fuel
rising cost of chems

U r right that you have to see the work, but how do you cover the ever increasing cost?

People aren't stupid. They realize that things are going up. A good compromise is to charge a nominal fee for the estimate\consultation which is credited if job is rewarded to you.

This really eliminates the tire kickers.

Just food for thought. Unless you are willing to throw money out the door, this is a good compromise.

The reality is nothing is free in life even if it says its free. Somebody is going to pay for it.

John

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
Your market is nothing like mine. I have four turf types. I charge more if the lawn is a pita. I need to see what needs to be done before I commit to something. If a Bermuda lawn is full of broadleaf weeds, no problem. If it's full of tttf, bluegrass, and nutsedge, well, that's a problem. An expensive one. I bid both completely different.

Furthermore, I have the best customer service, bar none. That will never change. If rather make a lot of money off someone over a long period of time than a little money over a short time.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm with you on this one. Besides, if everyone else is advertising "Free Estimate", how far is "Estimates-$5.00" going to get you.

I've got 2 words for those who can't afford to run estimates...actually, 4 words in 2 word phrases.

"price increase" or "compact car"

either one is a solution to the problem at hand

Our markets are different from theirs for sure Kbrashears.

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic
I hate tire kickers but it's part of the business...all business's actually.

Some I just charge a hefty fee so that I don't get them.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
I do not get a lot of tire kickers. People are warned that it is a privilege to even have my phone number, that I am expensive and I have no issues with firing customers. I also try to schedule looking at properties when I am in a given area. Gas is $4.35 a gallon, diesel is a few cents under $5. No special trips are made.

What I cost depends on type of grass and what kind of ornamentals/ground covers are present. Irrigation system problems are corrected by me for an additional fee above the monthly lawn/landscape care fee.

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
I do all my quotes over the phone or via email. The whole idea of the "evaluation" that the large companies say they provide is BS. They just want the stop and then send the invoice. I'll evaluate on my first app and let them know what their expectations should be. If the lawn is a Heinz 57 lawn, I'll let them know that certain grasses will do different things throughout the season. That's when I approach the idea of redoing the lawn or using a fungicide for red thread or whatever. I tell them that I can't turn water into wine with junk grass and if they want a great lawn how I am going to do it and the price.