1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

(New) Pro Ccontroller has no Power??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by advancedlawnsolutions, Apr 11, 2008.

1. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

Hey guys - I've not ran into this one yet. I installed a Hunter Pro C today. I made all of my valve connections, and plugged in my transformer then connected the (2) AC terminals + the third ground terminal and I have no display. I checked the wall outlet with a nearby radio and the wall outlet has power. I was curious if I might have a bad transformer & if so could I use a different transformer sold seperatly? The power ribbon for the display is also connected tight.

2. londonrain

londonrain LawnSite Silver Member

I usually make the terminal connections before I plug in the transformer..and your multimeter told you what?

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Always a better idea to make your connections before you plug in the transformer (indoor), plug in the pigtail (outdoor with a cord), or turn on the breaker.

I think you can "hot swap" the modules with that controller, but definitely not the panel.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Like Rainman said, test either side of the transformer to isolate the prob.

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Check the ribbon strip that runs from the face panel to the chassis.
    Occasionally the strip will be partially unplugged which results in a no power condition.
    You did install a new alkaline 9 volt battery to power the RAM didn't you?

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Did you slide the module lock into place? If not the clock will not get any power.

7. advancedlawnsolutions

Like Rainman said, test either side of the transformer to isolate the prob.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I always connect the terminals before plugging in the transformer, I don't know why I got ahead of myself. I hope I didn't damage the transformer. I believe the ribbon is in tight - but I will be sure to check again, and I believe the lock slide is down all the way in the locked position - but I will check that too. My multi-meter is not working properly (haven't took time to get a new one.) I have not installed a 9 volt battery yet because I wanted to make sure I was getting power from the transformer. But I guess I should install a battery to see if that works. Maybe thats what you mean by isolating the prob. Thanks, a bunch I'll get back with ya.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Dont put batteries in pro c,s. . You can always use a solonoid as a test light when in a jam.

9. advancedlawnsolutions

It was the transformer. As I put the 9 volt battery in it told me "NO AC power". I took the transformer from my personal timer & it worked fine. The new transformer wouldn't work on my timer either. I wonder if I damaged it by plugging it in first? I found a transformer @ Lowe's to replace mine but it didn't have a ground. Do you guys think there is a watch out for not having a ground?

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If you have alot of lightning strikes in your area it might give reason for concern.