1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

New PTO Clutch still won't engage??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ethanmr, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Ethanmr

Ethanmr LawnSite Member

I've been pulling out my hair all day about this and can't figure it out. Last week the blades on my Hustler super z with a 25 kawi started giving me problems engaging. Sometimes they would even cut off during a yard, but would normally turn right back on when I worked the switch. It started getting worse and didn't want to turn back on after I had been using them. Normally I could pull the switch a dozen or more times and get the pto to engage. That lasted a few days. Finally, they quit and wouldn't come back. I had been busy and don't have a close dealer but finally went out on Monday and picked up a switch. One of the reps said it was probably that or the pigtail. Well I went home and threw it on, and still nothing. Then I got smart and pulled out my meter and realized I had battery voltage to the clutch when I pulled the switch. So I figured it was the clutch. Resistance was like 1.8 ohms. So I ordered a new one and it got here today (Cheap Chinese something because I'm in the process of getting rid of this mower). Resistance on the new one was like 2.2. I put it on, and it still wouldn't engage. After working the switch several times, I got it to work like twice but then nothing. I'm getting a steady 14 volts to the clutch. The weird thing is, when I hooked the clutch to an extra battery while the mower was running and I got the blades to engage every time. I'm at a loss. Any help is appreciated. Mower model number 927871

2. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

Replace the battery.

3. Ethanmr

Ethanmr LawnSite Member

I'm not going to lie, I have no idea how old the battery is (Ive only had the mower for a year) but I'm getting 14.00 volts constant as soon as I pull the switch. Would a new battery give more amps or something? I'm not that knowledgeable about electricity.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is the charging system working? DC volktage level shoud be 13.5 volts when engine running...

5. Ethanmr

Ethanmr LawnSite Member

Well I believe that 14v reading I'm getting at the clutch is battery voltage and so yes, I'm assuming the charging system is working. Also, when I ran it off of an external battery, it probably was putting out about 12.5 volts and the blades still engaged without a problem.

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

This might help you

Attached Files:

7. Ethanmr

Ethanmr LawnSite Member

Breez, thanks for that, just looked it over. I think everything checks out, although I'm going to give it another visual inspection in the morning. Also I'm not sure what model clutch I bought and there wasn't even one stamped on it, so I'm not sure what resistance i should be getting.

8. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member

Try a test light instead of a meter next time.
    Check for positive and ground.

9. Gerry's Green Landscaping

Gerry's Green Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Bob Cat walk behind mower. I was at a house mowing then I turn off the blades to dump the clippings in the trash went back to engage them and they would not turn on. I tried wiggling the cables and nothing. Does any one have an idea whathat it can be? BTW I checked the PTO Switch with a multimeter and there is power going to it. I replace the pto clutch 2 years ago, but I just started this business and I only use the mower no more then 6 times a month. Can anyone guide me. Thanks

10. Dirtscooter5

Dirtscooter5 LawnSite Member

Check your ground also and clean up all connection points, I believe I had a similar problem and it ended up being a bad ground