Lawn Care Forum banner

New Push Spreader?

9K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  greenScape09 
#1 ·
New Member here. Part-Time Weed Control and Fertilizer guy with about 150 accounts totally about 4.5 million square feet per round. I mostly run liquid and have never had a commercial quailty push spreader. I have been looking online at the spyker's. Specifically the 76-22 for $319, but also the #64ss for $139 and the #46 for $177(I believe this is a homeowner model).

Any experience with these models or recommendations for other models or brands.

#4 ·
SeedPro, most of my yards are 30,000-70,000 square feet. I generally use my atv w/ 25 gal tank and 14 ft boom on these size yards. I run liquid 28-0-0 or 32-0-0 w/ my pre- and post- and occasionally feature 15-0-0 w/6% fe. I also have a Herd GT-77 atv spreader to use on these size properties. Most homeowners in our area are quite willing and able to spread a few bags of fertilizer a couple of times of year and don't want to spent huge amounts for fertilizer application. That is why I haven't spent a bunch on a professional spreader. I have recently picked up 25-35 new town yards(5,000-15,000 sq ft), and that is why I asked about a new spreader.

By the way, I am a very small player in our market. I do no signs or advertising and turn away or refer to another lco on a weekly basis. I work(full-time job) with another applicator that has 400-500 accounts. My customers are happy and 100% of my business is from referrals. I am not a lowballer and don't go undercutting other people. I am just trying to figure out what spreader most lco's like.

#5 ·
I think I got defensive in the last post. SeedPro, that was a valid question.

With a 200 gallon skid, 125 gallon auxillary tank, atv, and 300 ft of hose, I feel am very efficient in my applications. Also the farm supply store is only about 7-8 minutes from the house and 28-0-0 is $259/ton. That is why I haven't done much with dry products. I just ordered a pallet of 32-3-8 30%xcu and am excited to see it in action.

I know the xcu and similar products are better, but it is hard to not use other forms of N, at least some of the time, when they are a 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

#6 ·
No need to apologize. I just got a kick out of you saying you're part time with those numbers.

If you're charging the right rates like you say and hearing what the members here say they get down there....2-300 an acre.....then you should quit your job and do this full time.

You have to be doing well over 150K a year in fertilizing.

#8 ·
SeedPro, I wish I was grossing 150k. Currently I am just running 3 liquid apps of weed control with 2 or 3 of those including liquid fert. I am trying to increase by apps to 5-6 by adding 2 or 3 dry apps of fert. I don't quite get those prices, but close. This is my 4th year in the business, by the way.

#9 ·
Back on subject . . . look at the Spyker 288. You'll want the positive on-off lever instead of the lousy cables of the lower priced models. It's worth the additional $ and will last a long time.

Spyker's are excellent spreaders. Dead nuts accurate on their spread pattern.

#16 ·
1st generation lesco SS highwheel spreaders were great, 2nd generation sucks! The handlebar is too long and too wide, the balance sucks, the leg is too verticle, the hopper is too wide,etc. Im still running 1st generation but parts are getting hard to acquire!

#22 ·
Shindawia is junk not even good for salting side walks.
Thankx bob, thats good to know. Somebody told me they were decent spreaders, a year or so ago? I guess that narrows it down a little more as i will NOT buy another lesco! How much do i hate the new lescos? I won the spreader in the raffle @ the lesco seminar in february, i handed the ticket to the guy sitting next to me and gave it to him!

#23 ·
Thankx bob, thats good to know. Somebody told me they were decent spreaders, a year or so ago? I guess that narrows it down a little more as i will NOT buy another lesco! How much do i hate the new lescos? I won the spreader in the raffle @ the lesco seminar in february, i handed the ticket to the guy sitting next to me and gave it to him!
You can adjust the handles you know, and for the average size man the longer handles are good to have for posture.

The Lesco spreader is the industry standard for a reason.

#25 ·
So was Solo back pack sprayers but now not even close.Out with the old in with the new.Spyker will NOT clog like lesco spreaders do.
Solo sprayers are still the best. It's all I use. I wasted my money buying one of those shurflo pieces of junk if thats what you think is the best and I am gonna sell it at my garage sale.

What a piece of useless crap they are.

And my lesco never clogs. You must be doing something wrong or running cheap product or leaving fert in your spreader overnight or for extended periods.

#26 ·
You can adjust the handles you know, and for the average size man the longer handles are good to have for posture.

The Lesco spreader is the industry standard for a reason.
Thankx for that info seed pro, im aware of the adjustable handles & every other aspect of the lesco spreader as i was working in the lawn care industry long before lesco existed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.