• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

New quipment

PAULIE1313

LawnSite Member
Is it better to go out and get everything to start a lawn cutting/trimming business or get equipment as needed. I would like to get a 44-48 ztr, 21 push, 2 trimmers, blower and 5x8 enclosed trailer. Any advise would be great

silverado212

LawnSite Senior Member
Curious as to why that small of a Z. For that size I would think a WB would be much simpler. Now if you have bigger open turf areas then I would go with a 60-61" Z. My honest opion buy a nice used 48" WB, a new Stihl trimmer and backpack blower and a nice used push mower.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
I only buy it when I need it. But other than the second trimmer, you may need everything day 1.

intimidator782

LawnSite Member
Look for equipment on craigslist. I bought a 1 year old stihl edger near new condition for $100. Be careful what you buy tho. And dont be surprised if it breaks on you. But for just starting out this is what i would do. Then as you earn money with old equipment go buy a new trimmer, blower, ETC. One piece at a time. Dont ever let yourself get into debt. And always do a professional job.

NLSolutions

LawnSite Member
Agreed with Intimidator. Im in the process of buying everything myself and working very hard to buy everything with zero debt. Just picked up a nice 6x12 enclosed and plan on picking up a second hand mower from family in the next few weeks to tune up and use until things pick up. The lower your overhead the better!

Lawnut101

LawnSite Silver Member
A good rule of thumb is, buy what you can afford, but don't buy junk. Buy new if you can afford it, or used if you can't afford new. I do like new equipment though, because usually it is more reliable.