• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

New rider for small mowing business

scottt

LawnSite Senior Member
Look a little further down the page and you will see a discussion titled "mtd pro". I think this should answer your question.

OP
P

pottstim

LawnSite Senior Member
Whoa! forget about the Mtd walk behinds, i just read some posts in forum. LOL<p>Tim

AB Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
MTD is no good.They make 95% of the home depot style mowers.Like I said before look for names like Scag Exmark Toro Ferris Ransomes,these are the brands that will be reliable and last for years.Don't be afriad to buy from a dealer even if he is 1/2 hour away from where you live,Good service and parts service will go along way!Look in your yello pages and find out which brands other than MTD are avalible in your area.All here can tell you weather or not that brand is any good.With 1000 members chances are someone here has used or still uses what you are looking into.Let us know what you find!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

little green guy

LawnSite Senior Member
I run exmark, scag and ransomes and there all realy good. as long as you get a good name brand and the mower and engine are in good shape ur set. The thing with getting a good name is that it's easier to get parts for. Mowers do break and when they do u need to get parts fast or your beat.

AB Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Agian Little Green Guy hit it on the head!If you where to go out and buy a MTD or somthing of that nature you will never find any replacement parts!When I started out I bought a Weed Eater brand trimmer.It was only 1/2 year old and the trimmer head flew apart on a country job.Part of the head flew in to the brush and was never found.Do you think I got the part?:)No!You are better off with a 10 year old commercial unit than a 1 year old MTD!Commercial brands try not to change their machines very often and when they do they generally use the same platform and alter things a bit.Hope this helps!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

Greenkeepers

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm with the rest of the guys. If I were you I'd keep my eye out for a 48&quot; walk-behind. If you are looking to spend about 2000 you might want to save up alittle more and you could buy a new walkbehind. I prefer Exmark buy thats up to you, a new 48&quot; beltdrive is around $2500. I think it would be beneficial to you, if you could, to get a new mower. That way you are starting off on the right foot. You will have a warranty, so if anything goes wrong it can be fixed for free. If you go the used route and something goes wrong it comes out of you pocket and might end up costing you as much for the parts that you could have just got the new one. Just my opinion though. Good luck with the business and glad to see you found this site. It is very helpfull.<p> Mark

OP
P

pottstim

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey everyone,<br>I just found a nice Troy-Bilt 33&quot; walkbehind in a TB catalogue that they sent me in the mail today. It's got a 9hp Briggs I/C engine Peerless tranny with 4 forward speeds, and a 3yr. warranty. Any thoughts on Troy Bilt Equipment?<p>Thanks,<br>Tim

I don't know much about troy-bilt mowers, but I would caution you about purchasing a mower from a company that doesn't specialize in making mowers. Also I would definately want more power than a 9hp. Good Luck.

AB Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Here is my honest opinion!Don't buy the troy-built.They are great mowers..........for home owners not a day in day out daily bashed mower.Trust me buy a name brand like Scag Ferris Exmark Toro Bob-cat Ramsomes John Deere and so on.I make no money from saying this and hope you will take my advise.Now if not one of these brands where whithin 2 hours than maby go to troy-built but even then I would probably drive that 2 hours to get a name brand.Hope this helps!<p>from:Adam<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care