• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

New rider for small mowing business

OP
P

pottstim

LawnSite Senior Member
Little Green Guy, <br>Didn't you read what i said in my post? I'm just starting out here, small and slow. I work a full time job (45 hrs a week min), so that prevents me from going full-time in this business. Also, I do not have a large budget here, sure i would like to go out and spend several thousand dollars on a premium machine, but i just can't do that. Not right now anyway. I am going to buy what i can afford right now, and upgrade in the future.<br>I've seen plenty of people here in my area that do this partime who are also on limited budgets like me that run Craftsman, Murray, or Mtd equipment. What i want to do is start out with about 5 yards. I am just the type of person that doesn't go beyond his means.<br>Maybe I've made this a little clearer now.<p>Thanks,<br>Tim<br>

OP
P

pottstim

LawnSite Senior Member
Greenskeepers,<br>Thanks for the advice concerning the Exmark 48&quot; walkbehind. There's a dealer here near me, and I'm going to go and check one out sometime within the next week. $2500 doesn't sound too bad, but I just want to stay in my budget. <br>I've got time on my side being as i've decided not to start till next spring. So that will give me plenty of time to prepare, and save and buy equipment a little at a time.<p>Thanks again,<br>Tim

thelawnguy

LawnSite Silver Member
If you find a way to get that &quot;premium&quot; machine the term &quot;limited budget&quot; will soon be obsolete from your vocabulary.<p>Bill

AB Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
If you can afford $2500 for a commercial walk-behind GO FOR IT!I under stand you have a limited budget but if you can afford that $2500 just do it as nike would say!Let us know how that goes!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

accuratelawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Starting out ...only want five yards??<br>Borrow the $$ to buy a commercial mower.<br>The increased productivety will allow you to work twice as fast= 10 yards.<br>10 yards at $25 = $250 per week. <br>5 yards at $25 = $125 per week.<br>Take the extra $125 ($500 per month) and buy a real mower. MTD crapsman etc. will cost you in the long run.

OP
P

pottstim

LawnSite Senior Member
Mr. Stone,<br>Have you ever heard the saying, &quot;You have to start somewhere?&quot; <br>Or did you take the time to think, &quot;Hey maybe that's all that guy can afford.&quot;<br>I really don't think that it's funny to laugh at someone because they can't afford an expensive piece of equipment, and I'm one of those guys, and i'll tell you that I'm not ashamed to admit it. In this world you have to work for what you've get, and i've never had a damn thing handed to me. So if it means starting out with not so expensive equipment, then so be it. If I had my way and plenty of $, I would go right out and buy a top dollar machine, but that's not possible for me now. Hopefully someday it will be. <br>I've learned a lot from this forum, and there are plenty of nice, helpful folks in here. But I will tell you one thing, I don't come in here to get insulted, and I don't take too kindly to some of the remarks that were made above. Yeah inexpensive machines may be inferior to top dollar machinery, I realize this, but it all comes down to what you can afford at the time without overburdening yourself. I just don't understand why some folks can't understand this. Different people have different needs and situations. I have other financial obligations, like student loans, truck payments, insurance, groceries, and many other things. So i watch my $ closely, that's the reason i don't wanna take on another loan right now.<br>Maybe this forum isn't for me, I don't know. I come in here to learn the fundamentals of the business, not to hear wisecracks from a couple people. I really do appreciate all the helpful posts and emails that i have gotten from you guys. It means a lot!<p>Take care,<br>Tim<br>

Ocutter

LawnSite Senior Member
I started with a caftsman 22&quot; for $300. Upgraded to a Exmark 36&quot; for $1500. Then a 48&quot; Snapper for $1200. To a snapper 52&quot; for $3500 (new). Now a rider Toro used for $2300. I stayed within a budget and still do most of the work myself. To this day I still have all the mowers I bought due to good servicing on my part. P.S. The craftsman doubles as a good brushcutter too.

OP
P

pottstim

LawnSite Senior Member
Ocutter,<br>Sounds like you've done well for yourself. Thanks for the post! Everyone has to start somewhere, even if it is small. <p>Tim :eek:)

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you're going to earn your living with it, it's CHEAPER to get the best. <p>Many folks make the mistake thinking the purchase price will be the most expensive part of owning a mower. Not so-- especially when you're talking about productivity and opportunity cost.<p>If you're just going to work part-time, I'd get a job with a commercial lawn contractor for $15/hour rather than working with equipment that will net you less than that.<p>