New rotor concept

irrig8r

LawnSite Platinum Member
Interesting couple of hours this evening.

Didn't take written notes and they covered a lot of ground, but here's what I remember.

Participated in a focus group for a local marketing company.
Revolutionary new sprinkler concept and prototype.

Three body styles: 1/2 in. inlet, 3/4 in. inlet and 1 in. inlet.

Concept A:
1/2 will come as 4 in, 6 in and 12 in. pop-up bodies

Waters 8 to 30 ft. radius using a single nozzle with a large trapezoidal opening.

3/4 waters 30 to 50 ft.

1 in. waters 50 to 80 ft.

(I could be off a little on the radius numbers, but I think these are right)

Concept B:
Same thing but 5 nozzles (comes with).

Auto adjusts flow and precip when adjusting radius.

Adj. 45 to 360 deg. arc.

Vandal resistant.

Easy adjustments.

DU of 80% (I'm sure about this one)

Precip. rate of .33 in/ hr. (I think)

Self flushing at startup and a flush button too.

Also a flow stop and a check valve.

Come kind of co-efficient (can't remember what it's called) that effects run times... rated at 1.2 something

No idea who the company is, except that the 1/2 body and 3/4 bodies looked suspiciously like Rain Bird's 1804 and 5004, but very different different top assemblies. Screwdriver used to adjust though, just like a 5004. And fixed right stop when adjusting.

One guy suggested it might be from Weathermatic or Nelson. Could even be someone new... or maybe Orbit or K-Rain.

Many of the guys said it could replace all the heads we currently use (except strip heads). That's if (big IF) it lives up to its claims.

And if it sounds to good to be true... who knows?

Took two hours and they fed us sandwiches and paid an honorarium. It will be interesting to see if it makes it to market, then maybe I can say I had something to do with evaluating it.

Lots of writing answers, which brought to mind two things:
(1) My scribbling has becomes less legible in direct proportion to time I spend at a keyboard
(2) Editing my thoughts via a keyboard has become second nature. Much harder on the spot with pen and paper.

DanaMac

LawnSite Fanatic
Even if it isn't the greatest product now at its inception, it could eventually grow and morph into something better down the road. Just like every other product. Always fun to see and learn something new. Going to a 2 Wire seminar tomorrow. Never seen or touched one, but I want us to learn the technology.

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
Sounds like 5000 series rotor (concept A) and MPRotator (concept B) with very minor differences.

BTW, that coefficient you can't remember is most likely the scheduling coefficient, it's a CIT sprinkler economic evaluation coefficient that is related to DU. It is basically the same as a run time multiplier adjustment for DU.

OP
irrig8r

irrig8r

LawnSite Platinum Member
Sounds like 5000 series rotor (concept A) and MPRotator (concept B) with very minor differences.
Not really like an MP Rotator because (it appeared to me) it had multiple streams passing through the same large trapezoidal orifice, maybe occupying less than 20% of the total arc.

It was kind of a cutout. Not wide open like an old Toro Super 700, but reminiscent.

Appears to be something that might be sort of a hybrid between a traditional gear driven rotor and an MP.

Of course at this stage, we didn't see it with water running, just handed around the table.

BTW, that coefficient you can't remember is most likely the scheduling coefficient, it's a CIT sprinkler economic evaluation coefficient that is related to DU. It is basically the same as a run time multiplier adjustment for DU.
Correct! The irrigation consultant sitting next to me seemed impressed with that rating. And all of us were impressed with the DU rating.

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
Not really like an MP Rotator because (it appeared to me) it had multiple streams passing through the same large trapezoidal orifice, maybe occupying less than 20% of the total arc.

It was kind of a cutout. Not wide open like an old Toro Super 700, but reminiscent.

Appears to be something that might be sort of a hybrid between a traditional gear driven rotor and an MP.

Of course at this stage, we didn't see it with water running, just handed around the table.
Was the nozzle a fixed arc or adjustable? Sounds like a fixed arc to me.

Correct! The irrigation consultant sitting next to me seemed impressed with that rating. And all of us were impressed with the DU rating.
1.2 isn't bad, not phenomenal, but not bad. Of course that assumes proper design. How good it is as a replacement depends on what the current system is running at. If you have a system with a SC (RTM) of 1.25 or 1.3 already, 1.2 isn't giving you much improvement and it may not be economically feasible to overhaul.

Last edited:
OP
irrig8r

irrig8r

LawnSite Platinum Member
Should have a minimum arc of less than 45 degrees - you can get some occasional good use from them in narrow corners.
I hope no one is installing turf at a narrower angle than that. I have used MP Corner heads in tight angles in ground cover... but still not less than 45.