1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

New roundup alternative!????

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by KUMA01, Sep 5, 2019.

1. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at a gas station this morning and one large commercial lawn company shows up with 8 rigs they do the normal one or two fuels up and the other 3 go inside to get snacks ect. Well I noticed one guy pulling all the backpack sprayers off all the trucks and taking them to the diesel pump where he fills them all up and puts them back on the trucks! I’m fueling up my 75 gallon tank In the back of my truck next to the guy filling the sprayers I ask jokenly “extra fuel?” He says no it cheaper than roundup and this is what we use for weeds control. He mixes a little old motor oil in it as well he said. I was like holy Sh^t this guy is going to get nailed down the road. I will admit it does keep weeds dead for a while ( I use to be a mechanics assistant and around the oil and fuel dumps it splashed and killed the weeds) but this can’t be good for the soil it’s sprayed on especially for future plants/plantings.

2. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Platinum Member

not sure on the legality of that but I bet it’s like solar farms, fence lines, road right of ways. Where you don’t want it back.

Cam15 and KUMA01 like this.
  3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be interested to hear what your State Ag Dept has to say about this.

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

That's totally illegal.

I wish i had a picture of this rig ... a railroad used to have a sprayer that used roundup, 2-4,D and diesel fuel all mixed together for the ultimate ROW kill. There was no green at all by those tracks for many, many months.

5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

I've heard of diesel being used as a labeled carrier for some herbicides but I couldn't tell you which ones. Still sounds like a bad idea for the soil, seems like it would leach where u don't want it to.

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The Department of Health and then the EPA will have something to say about that. A product not labeled for the particular use is being used. Secondly, Diesel applied in that manner will leach down to the water table. It is as bad or worse than any pesticide chemical I can think of.

7. OP
    OP
    KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

it will catch up to him. I agree is not good for the environment. But neither is the stuff they spray for power lines. That is some bad stuff there. I’m not anti chemical but there a ton of chemicals that do get into the water table. Just thought it was interesting to share.

Cam15, zlandman and greendoctor like this.
  8. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

You’re not sure?
    Well let’s see you’re dumping a petrol based product somewhere that it’ll be absorbed and potentially effect the local eco system, what do you think

greendoctor likes this.
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of what is used for Bare ground weed control includes either Sulfometuron, Imazapyr,and/or Metsulfuron. Previously, a lot of Bromacil, Atrazine, Simazine, and Prometon was used. The latter group of herbicides were severe water pollutants. They are not allowed in my state any more.

10. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Platinum Member

with no location I’m glad you can see with your crystal ball. ASSume away

Love the Green Biz and Cam15 like this.