• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

new sales 2009

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
I don't know, I did not close a job for like 3-4 days, then finally broke that trend yesterday. # 20 yesterday, closed number 21 today, and have an appointment to sign contract and close #22 tomorrow. but I am way behind last year and the year before that. just get your yard signs out and do your best.

we closed 12 jobs in our first year in this market by driving around putting flyers in mailboxes. we stuck to our guns on pricing and I still have some of those customers. This year Christmas Decor here has pretty much blanketed our area with full color doorhangers on every house worth 250k and up.

I would say that based on what you have said, your market has no installer, you just need to find the folks that have money to hire you and want it done. I know you did mailers though HBL, but you can get doorhangers cheap and have one of your guys deliver 3-500 a day on Friday, Sat, Sunday after Thanksgiving. look on melissadata.com for home value prices on walking routes for your zip code. once you register, you can look up that stuff for free. also it will help you figure out where to put yard signs.

good luck. there is about 10-14 good selling days left. I have booked stuff as late as the 10th of december, but usually it is over by the 5th or so.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
Your not in trouble.

First year is tough, door hangars, we got one of our still existing customers from them, large job too. keep putting them out.

Stick with your prices, it will come around. We sold 18 my first year in business, but took 100+ calls and went on 40+ appointments. Mostly b/c we did not do directed advertising but blanket/bulk to get the name out.

It is tough the first year when you are the one setting the market, 2nd year takes off, 3rd year you get your feet under you, 4th year competetion arrives:hammerhead:

You will be fine, I am actually at the point that I would be happy if the phones stopped, 9 appointments yesterday sold 2, 3 deciding. But material is running low as I barely ordered anything this year. Had no capital to lay out and deliveries are painfully slow. Booked thru 12-5 and guys are tired of working 7 days.

addictedtolandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Truthfully, I played a little with the numbers yesterday,a dn brought in another. I still have a real good margin on it. It got m into a neighborhood with lots of MD's and Lawyers according to the home owner. It isn;t really a big one, about 3 or so cases icicles links, 3 3d gift boxes, some mini's on a couple bushes and then a few pieces of mixed noble garland.

I got a call last night from a house I went to a few weeks ago and then couldn't reconnect with when she was unavailable to meet that night, house is huge like one of those in Westchester. I got my fingers crossed on that one. I picked my trailer up last night, not a realy good job on it, but it definitely gets the idea across. I have an order due tomorrow from HBL, Lite Source called yesterday, now they are going to be a week away still, lesson learned there.

I definitely have to rework the numbers I am using, margin on product is really good, I think my install and removal is out of wack though. I am just looking to get through this season, has been a huge learning curve. Got a really big job in Troy coming up the end of the week - wreath i mentioned a few weeks back, today doing a install with customers product. Not thrilled about it, but a catalog will go with me, the product is in the trailer, and I will convert them. LOL Just going to keep plugging along. As it is mentioned quite a bit here, this week starts the push, hoping to get 10-15 more, that would put me in the area of 15-20. I think that would be a good start. And yes, building the market sucks!!!!

Thanks guys.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
picked up the contract on #22 as expected and closed #23 as well today. no appointments tomorrow scheduled, as only 2 leads came in today . gotta love servicemagic.com. I have gotten a few jobs off them this year, but man, folks have no clue it costs me 15-20 bucks each time they use service magic to find me. I had a couple of folks use it this year that really were needing a guy to buy lights at Walmart and put them up. luckily I have a guy to send them to that pays me 10% of whatever he charges them to do that. he usually gets 250-300 bucks, so I at least get my original cost of the lead back.

ran some numbers today. i have done 57 bids to get 23 customers this year. so I am at 40% close ratio so far. last year, If I remember correctly, I did around 70 bids and 35 new customers, or had a 50% close ratio. I know in 2007 I had to do about 120 bids to get 39 customers. I think it is reasonable to think I will do 13-20 more bids, but I am not so sure about closing 12/13 to get the same number of new customers as last year.

I really need to bring in more bids over the next week, but I already have deployed nearly every sign I had, and will put more out strategically tomorrow and friday. New signs came in today, full color 24x24's. woo hoo ! I think if I can get 30 more bids in this year, maybe I can get 30 or 35 jobs and I will call this a good/very good year.

It is amazing how I have really lowered expectations. I really thought using a foot patrol cold call commission sales force early on would result in 15 or more business's that would use me, we would hang those in september along with the super early birds, then I would follow that up with a traditional season of 35-40 new clients. therefore, a 50 new customer season sounded reasonable.

After the miserable failure of the commercial sales experiment, I am also behind last years closed jobs when Thanksgiving was on Nov 27th.

You can read my Thanksgiving thread for a list of details, but I will say this. I am Thankful for all work that has come in up to this point.

Don M.

LawnSite Member
We've picked up a couple for next week. Lots of calls, but when I tell them the min. pricing they say thats WAY more than they want to spend. :hammerhead:

One guy I told our min was $350 and he said that was way higher than his other bids. LOL. Most of them is over $1000 and they look at you like your nuts.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
ended up with 3 appointments today that seemed pomising, especially 2 of them. They both asked for my email addresss so they could give me a decision over Thanksgiving. Never had that request before, so It may just be a new tech way to say "we'll thhink about it and call you" , which means no. one appointment from a few days ago called back and asked some questions so I know she is on the fence.

booked 5 appointments for friday, odds are someone will buy from me.

sold one 350 buck add on today. no new customers.

addictedtolandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Picked up another with the local Triple A office. Will do 100' clear c-9, a 4' mixed Noble wreath, and couple 4.5 foot trees. Not a big order, but she already told me she wants to add to it next year. Working on a design for a mansion, owner told me to "light the he** out of it. They have a decorator coming in to set up artificial trees in the yard. Two estimates tomorrow, one reinstall owners decor, will aim at converting that, and another is a large tree for a local church. The Pastor saw the one we did with the mini's and LED snowflakes and absolutely loved it.

Something else to add to the tankful thread, continued success.

If I don;t make it on tomorrow after I head out for these estimates, everyone have a wonderful and happy thanksgiving. I am also thankful for all that you guys have taught me and continue to teach me. I pray that God Himself bless each and everyone of you guys.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
Phones slowed down a little, but we cracked a couple of new neighborhoods. Had one call that actually requested an install date of 12-6. When we told her we wouldnt hold the date until she met with us: she told us to hold the date that it was not a matter of IF but HOW MUCH she wanted done. She saw our work around the corner and loved it. That's a good feeling. Nice to have crews that understand what we are all about.

Happy turkey day and good luck next week as this is now "when can you get here" time if you want to make the sale.

addictedtolandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Hit a dry spell/ I figured the phones would have started blowing up again yesterday, nothing. Kind of strange I think. I was talking to Mike about some product I have coming in - had a fedex issue with the last order, he was shocked too. I guess the guy that bought Christmas Creations from him is going bizerk, has 12 set for Sunday alone.

TexasFire221

LawnSite Senior Member
I am royally pissed at FedEx also. I had a big order coming in on Wednesday that I was dying to get in. I wanted to get 2 jobs up before going out of town. Well when I get to the office Wendesday I have a message on my machine from FedEx at 6:30. It says "Call us back before 7:30 if you want your shippment on the truck." WHAT? Of course I want my shippment on the truck I have been waiting for it. But when I call back there is no room and it wont be coming until Monday. FedEx is on my sh1t list!