• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

new sales 2009

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
got #31 and #32 today. I'm at 95k in new sales, including add ons, and I am calling that a very good year, not great. but my guys are putting them up faster than I can sell. we have work for all cews tomorrow and some touch up stuff saturday, maybe they will all work some saturday if I sell some jobs tomorrow, but no appointments scheduled. but I think that Saturday will be the last real day running 3 crews on install. phone is ringing off the hook for "put up my lights" folks, and I'm just not gonna do it.

I am referring it out to a friend who may turn into a more serious competitor in years to come. he gives me 10% of what I refer him.
keep your friends close, your enemies closer...

hotrod1965

LawnSite Senior Member
I think you are giving away business by not taking on those customers. I am doing fairly well at coverting those customers to my products within a year or two....

I have a contract for those customers that they sign that says "nothing is my problem". Then I bill just straight by the hour. My close rate for these types of jobs is very low because my hourly rate is typically tripple the "lawn boys". But I have got 3 this year, and one is already talking about switching over to full service next year....

got #31 and #32 today. I'm at 95k in new sales, including add ons, and I am calling that a very good year, not great. but my guys are putting them up faster than I can sell. we have work for all cews tomorrow and some touch up stuff saturday, maybe they will all work some saturday if I sell some jobs tomorrow, but no appointments scheduled. but I think that Saturday will be the last real day running 3 crews on install. phone is ringing off the hook for "put up my lights" folks, and I'm just not gonna do it.

I am referring it out to a friend who may turn into a more serious competitor in years to come. he gives me 10% of what I refer him.
keep your friends close, your enemies closer...

TexasFire221

LawnSite Senior Member
I totally agree with Hotrod. I only do a few installs with customer product but have a PHD that wants my stuff next season.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
I agree with David, I tried the by the hour thing. Even at electricians rates, it was not worth the hassle.

I will hang a homeowner wreath if we are there doing a big enough job, but after today when I agreed to 2 wreaths and it ended up being 2 48's, 1 60 and 5 sticks of garland I think I will be more specific next time on what I am willing to do. She did put up 40 light links and 4500 minis, but her extra stuff actually cost me enough time that I did not get to an install we were supposed to.

TexasFire221

LawnSite Senior Member
The phones are still ringing like crazy here. I really thought it would of slowed down by know but im not going to complain. Turned out to be a pretty good year. Next season im going to take the next step with direct mailing and maybe door hangers. Can't wait!

hotrod1965

LawnSite Senior Member
See, I try so hard to make it sound like it's the worse deal ever to pay us by the hour.... so I always get people who really understand and scare off those who would take advantage....

I agree with David, I tried the by the hour thing. Even at electricians rates, it was not worth the hassle.

I will hang a homeowner wreath if we are there doing a big enough job, but after today when I agreed to 2 wreaths and it ended up being 2 48's, 1 60 and 5 sticks of garland I think I will be more specific next time on what I am willing to do. She did put up 40 light links and 4500 minis, but her extra stuff actually cost me enough time that I did not get to an install we were supposed to.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
#33 and #34 today. very close to my "reset" sales dollar goal. I have moved into the good to very good year category.

just looking for hope, I flipped through customer files A-E and found 31 total customers, and 5 were after Dec 4. 3 of those were after Dec 8th. so, you figure 5/31, that is slightly better than 15%. I could have skewed the numbers if I went only to letter D. all 5 were in that group of 25. that is 20%. maybe folks with early alphabet names put off things to the last minute more frequently? If those numbers are right, then odds are there may be 3 more customers out there. all 5 paid full price by the way, no end of year gimmicks, at least in that group.

I think you can choose to do the hang the customer's lights or not, but I choose not to. I agree I would have more clients and a chance to convert them over, but I have done a few and converted none. hanging customers lights also requires you to retrain your guys on how to hang wal-mart c-9s as opposed to the bulk. no more than 2 25 foot runs is way different that 140 foot at a run.

also, we are still hanging at our prices and our product, so why take on customer light headaches when I can refer it out?

and tomorrow is the 5th, and 2 crews running plus one repair guy and one guy off tomorrow. I am giving everyone Sunday off unless repairs call in.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
although it is after midnight, I still think of today as saturday, and no closed jobs today. 2 appointments today and one tomorrow, and I think I will get one from today and the one tomorrow. I am about 3600 bucks short of my reset new sales goal for 2009, and still one away from moving into the very good year category.

funny how my guys looked at me strange when I told them to take sunday off. everyone is so used to working every day, it is just kind of weird not to work. we have fixes, landscape lighting and shop work to keep 2 guys plus me busy all next week.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
#35 today. 2 appointments, one close. good one. just 200 bucks shy of revised 100k goal in new sales for the year. I gotta go sell/upsale a wreath tomorrow or something. have one referral appointment on Tuesday. none scheduled for tomorrow, but maybe the phone will ring.