1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

new sales 2010

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by David Gretzmier, Oct 29, 2010.

1. britelights

britelights LawnSite Member

We're at 22 new customers right now with a couple more that may close tomorrow. Last week was very very tough...the long hours are definitely taking a toll. This week will be only 1 crew, but we have installs every day. We'll be working on a boat tomorrow for the Boat Parade -- first time to do that. Should be interesting!

2. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I ahve one maybe two more left as of right now; the one I did yesterday, about half way through it finally occurred to me to place a sign out front, atleast it was before dark when I lit it up and finished off, the amount of people that were stopping and looking was amazing, couple cars I saw turned around, came back and wrote the number down, so hoping to grab a couple more.

Truth be told I am looking forward to things settling a little, it is really cold up here, and the wind has just been mean. Highs have been in the low 20's with 30 mph winds, makes it really tough on roofs.

I have an idea of getting one of the road construction signs made up except where it would say men working, it will say holiday decorators at work or something like that, have to get some winter jackets made up, and of course the bucket truck has to be lettered. Another thought especially with the on board generator, stringing some c-9s and who knows, a wreath or some LL on the side of the bucket truck when we are working. All stuff to tackle after this season.

Some advertising I found effective, no idea what Mike and HBL did with the direct mail this year, but it has been good, radio a little pricey but credibility added, however wrong audience captured, Chamber of Commerce, total waste of money, yard signs, huge ROI, 18 signs 18x24 with Christmas Lights Installed and phone number cost $300.00 at least one project generated at $1600.00 so incredible ROI there. Have another I am working on that came from the radio, I can see it most likely happening so that will make the radio a break even situation.

Though I haven't made what I did last year, I got into some great neighborhoods, and now the work is being seen, I think that is a key issue. The days have been long all week, working until 8/9pm on installs and the weather has been a bear. Worn out isn't close to being precise. Managed to screw up my knee some how, that ends up being a monster usually by the end of the day. Each roof guy I have hired has been a no show, so I end up doing it, and due to the knee issue, it is costing time, but at least they are getting put up. Accu-weather is calling for a BIG snow storm up here this weekend, so really pushing hard to finish up.

3. addictedtolandscaping

from NY

I ahve one maybe two more left as of right now; the one I did yesterday, about half way through it finally occurred to me to place a sign out front, atleast it was before dark when I lit it up and finished off, the amount of people that were stopping and looking was amazing, couple cars I saw turned around, came back and wrote the number down, so hoping to grab a couple more.

Truth be told I am looking forward to things settling a little, it is really cold up here, and the wind has just been mean. Highs have been in the low 20's with 30 mph winds, makes it really tough on roofs.

I have an idea of getting one of the road construction signs made up except where it would say men working, it will say holiday decorators at work or something like that, have to get some winter jackets made up, and of course the bucket truck has to be lettered. Another thought especially with the on board generator, stringing some c-9s and who knows, a wreath or some LL on the side of the bucket truck when we are working. All stuff to tackle after this season.

Some advertising I found effective, no idea what Mike and HBL did with the direct mail this year, but it has been good, radio a little pricey but credibility added, however wrong audience captured, Chamber of Commerce, total waste of money, yard signs, huge ROI, 18 signs 18x24 with Christmas Lights Installed and phone number cost $300.00 at least one project generated at $1600.00 so incredible ROI there. Thank you for that repeated advice Dave! Door hangers will also occur next year. May have found a possible salesman, ran into a friend of mine who sold house before the market crashed here 4 years ago, he could sell an Eskimo an ice cube. It is really tough having to do all the appointments as well as installs, pick up product etc. especially when I can not seem to find dependable people. I know I have lost two this year because I could not make the appointments due to roof guys not showing up. Have another I am working on that came from the radio, I can see it most likely happening so that will make the radio a break even situation.

Though I haven't made what I did last year, I got into some great neighborhoods, and now the work is being seen, I think that is a key issue. The days have been long all week, working until 8/9pm on installs and the weather has been a bear. Worn out isn't close to being precise. Managed to screw up my knee some how, that ends up being a monster usually by the end of the day. Each roof guy I have hired has been a no show, so I end up doing it, and due to the knee issue, it is costing time, but at least they are getting put up. Accu-weather is calling for a BIG snow storm up here this weekend, so really pushing hard to finish up. Bryan they say you got a bunch of ice coming down there, HotRod, you're supposed to get buried too. Be careful my friends!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have a couple of appointments tomorrow, one is promising. gonna go ahead and add the 4 rental customers I have been holding back on until now, and tell you what went down with that. so as of today I am officially at 42 new customers for the year.

I started a new thread to share that deal.

5. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

#43 today. good small job ( 1200 ) using inventory I already have. first new job closed since Saturday afternoon 5 days ago. did a couple more bids today, one fairly promising appointment that I think will buy something tomorrow. phone has been pretty quiet except the "bulb out" calls and various timer issues.

weather has been very good to us so far, with a lack of rain popping GFCI's. some rain may hit saturday, but the 7 days after that all have less than 20% chance of rain. I would really love a christmas season without rain. I would estimate each rain storm generates at least 25 service calls that cost me 250-350 to send guys to fix.

6. addictedtolandscaping

from NY

Congrats Dave, if I remember right, you are right on track with last years numbers.

I have a couple rehangs that have finally called, but the phone stopped here also. I would love to get a couple more houses, I have plenty of C-9 in stock, a case of MN 48" case of MN garland etc. I have come to the conclusion that it is pretty much done this year. Didn;t do anywhere near where I hoped, but added more to the client list so I would have to say that makes it a good year. I did manage to crush my ladder yesterday, what an expensive lesson!! 32' fiberglass, junk now. The worse part is I need it for most of the houses we are doing now. I have been giving thought to replacing it with aluminum, all the homes we are dealing with have underground power, and the fiberglass is SOOOO heavy, also thinking of going to a 40' if I do go aluminum. The important thing is it was a ladder and not the guy I ha with me.

I also learned an expensive lesson yesterday with the project we finished up as well, I had under estimated the trees and in all honesty, the roof has 101 c-9 and the trees (between the two of them, have almost 500). It did turn out just absolutely gorgeous though!! Essentially, that house ended up at my cost, but the work is being seen, cars are stopping, my sign is out front, and her phone is ringing asking about us. So all in all I think it will be positive next season. I have everything split into two circuits, still pulling 12.8 and am thinking I want to split the tree onto a third, going to put a call out to Mike today and ask him about that, I am a bit concerned about it. One tree with 175' and 500 mini on one circuit, another tree with 101 on roof, 275 in tree, 500 mini and a 48" mn on another. Already mentioned LED to her for next year. Remaining signs are gonna go out this weekend, and hope for the best. Next week will be picture week.

7. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

ah, 500 incan c9's in trees is always quite the sight. My goal has always been doing a tree with 1000 plus incan c-9s on 18-24 inch spacing someday. I did do a 1200 c7 led tree this year, 40 footer, but led's are too directional so just not the same.

#44 today, garland and wreaths, another 12-1300. one appointment tomorrow sounds good as well.

as far as tracking last year, as of today we are ahead in customer numbers by 8 ( had 36 new last year), and probably 10k ahead in total new sales to new customers and new add-ons to old. very good year. as far as total new sales dollars though, still only 3rd best. have not checked this, but pretty sure it is 1st in added rehang dollars because this year is almost all c-9 customers rather than links or any large yard art 3d display items.

i will be looking at my close ratio stuff in the next few days.

8. Tq23

Tq23 LawnSite Member

David

I was wondering if you had your average sale broken down into what kind of advertising got that job? For example the avg sale that was generated by yard signs is$$$, the avg sale from referrals is $$$ and so on.. Thanks David, reading what you put on here has really helped me with this aspect of the business.

9. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

#45 and 46 today. both good ones, lots of foliage from the container I got from HBL.

I do my best to track all leads and then look back at the numbers. I am always especially keying in on leads and closed jobs per postcard mailings and yellow pages because those two are big dollar volume cash outlays an a per year basis. but I do not track an average sale per closed job source. I do track the number of new customers from a certain different sources.

good example is the 1300 or so I spent on addressing, printing and postage of 4000 postcards sent back around thanksgiving. I got 4 jobs off that of around 10k total. but 2 were 3000+ and 2 were less than 2k. you could say an average of 2.5k, but not really. That 10k represents about 4k in rehangs, and odds are they will all be back next year. while I love the fact I got 4 customers, and I got the 10k, I spent 1300 BUCKS to make 10k. it only makes financial sense to do that if you know the rehangs are there next year and you spread that investment over the two year revenue coming in. anything over 10% to bring in sales is too much.

flip side- #45 and 46 totaled 6k plus, one was from a referral who won't take a commission, and one was from truck graphics that last year cost me about 900. that 900 ( along with other truck graphics dollars ) has sent me tons of leads and closed jobs. way better ROI.

10. backhalfeds10

backhalfeds10 LawnSite Member

So i am new to this Christmas lights gig. Been mowing for years starting my own business this year. So question how do you guys bid these commercial Christmas light gigs. Do you charge by the foot or what