new sales 2010

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by David Gretzmier, Oct 29, 2010.

1. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

don't get too inspired! #33 wrote a $6200 check, signed a contract, then cancelled the next morning after the truck was loaded for the job. I felt worse than if they had never signed on. so old 33 out, and did sell #33 and #34 today, smaller jobs, but keeps the guys paid and busy tomorrow along with their repair stops. Have 4 appointments tomorrow, so hopefully will close 2 more.

gotta get signs out tomorrow, this is really the last big weekend. I am so tired and just need to push through the next 5 days and the phone and appointments should pretty much stop.

2. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

WOw, 6200.00 you mentioned you thought she may have some buyers remorse. Sorry to hear that, but happy to see not only did you replace that one, but added more. I am seeing first hand what you told me about with the big jobs, with the time I have wrapped up in this one right now, I could have had all my scheduled residential done, Not that there are alot of them, but none the less, money in the hand is better than money in February.

I do have numbers 4,5 and 6 pretty firmly on the hook, one of them I am rally just about going to cover my costs, however it is going to give me a strong presence in a 650k neighborhood, and one of her coworkers who "his house is just awesome" is extremely interested, and that will give me a presence in that neighborhood. Number 6 is a lady who called and wants to know if I can do a tree for around 1k, evergreen with c-9's, I believe it is definitely doable. It is amazing how once the 1st hit, people get down to business. I also am going to get the rest of the signs out i have this weekend as well, #'s 4,5,6 all came from the signs, I have a install scheduled in the neighborhood of 4, she told number 5, and 6 is from a sign in the neighborhood of the house I have to keep resetting the light links after the wind takes them off. Signs are huge, for 300.00 I have essentially gained 2000 in rehangs. Can't beat that roi with a stick!

I am starting to believe that i have found a way to generate income above and beyond snow plowing, and it may just replace that. Also, I believe a great basis for really putting the landscape lighting side of the business a foot forward. I intend to really look firmly at that once all the removals are completed.

3. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

glad to hear things are doing better ! closed 35,36,37 today. closed 3 out of 4 appointments. one appointment tomorrow. really, really dragging. starting to forget repairs and missed one or 2 today. after appointment, gotta rest tomorrow and regroup my body.

4. addictedtolandscaping

from NY

I am understanding how you feel, been doing 4am-10pm with paperwork and all last 12 days, really starting to feel it.

Have three of them to get done by Monday, and of course, the large project I have wants to take some lights off one spot and move them to another, the old adage of a bad penny comes right to mind. Did manage to get a big part of my sisters house done last night, my son was walking the roof faster than I could get the lift moved, so I gave up on that. He had the LL and starbursts up when I got home to pick him up too, so that takes a load off my mind, and made the wife happy. Fortunately she understands.

Did get number 4 to bite, she is looking for a tree that wasn't in the proposal, thinking I am going to do it pro-bono as she is already telling people about us and have been playing phone tag with one of her co workers whom she informs me has an amazing house. I figure for 100 of what it may cost me, and her telling people about us, sounds like pocket change in the long run. Another estimate scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. messages left with 3 other people.

My objective, even though I am not making what I could be up front, I am gaining the rehangs. I would rather give a little in the beginning, unbeknown to them of course, and have that guaranteed income in the long run.

5. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

Got up to #12 today. Which I fell better since we like to close 12-15 new a year.

6. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

#38 today, my only appointment, and it was a good one, 3400. no appointments scheduled for tomorrow, sunday, but I am hopeful a few more jobs will dribble in over the next 5 days. but the phone has been pretty quiet new lead wise for the past 2 days. really have not booked an appointment since thursday eve. but oh, the fixes. I have done 3-4 per day myself, and have been sending guys to fix 5-6 per day as lights have come on. many are call ins and many are self imposed with me driving around at night seeing bulbs out and links/sections out. timers going out and various cord issues.

we put out more signs today and will be trying to run out of signs by the 10th or so. I have a really cool sign idea for next year !

7. addictedtolandscaping

from NY

Ended up sliding behind the eight ball again. Had two guys that were supposed to start yesterday, both roof guys. Long and short of it, no call no show with one, the other had excuses, but no show. Ended up only getting one done yesterday, had 2 scheduled, so number 2 today, and today's gets moved to tomorrow; another estimate tonight, couple more calls to make. Looks like it will be safe to say added 5 this year. Brings me to only 12, but it is 12 more than I had last year. I can see where next year is going to really fire up. My son lost count at 12 cars that were stopping to look at the house we were at last night as we were finishing up. Neighbors house gets done on Tuesday. Took a ride through the neighborhood, all pretty grand houses with no roof work. So figuring I will hit the total of 20 next year any how.

Gonna try to post some pics from this week in a minute or so, that may not go so well.

8. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

it sounds like you are starting out just like my brother did in his market, and he is in his 5th year now and has around 60 customers for just him and his daughter. he closed 14 new customers this year and it was all he could do to keep up with it.

sold a 800 add on today, but no appointments scheduled at this point. have work for monday and tuesday, but really only fixes after that.

9. addictedtolandscaping

from NY

Seems like manpower is going to end up being an issue. I went through he same thing last year too, I was finishing up a house i built, the season kicked in three guys unreliable, then this year tried a salesman = that didn't come close to working out, looks like a good thing in retrospect. I almost lost number 4 as a result of unreliability of people, but will do it myself today, then try to get to an appointment tonight, another install tomorrow.

The phone has pretty much stopped for me as well. Last Friday was a big push with the phone, now settling down. Looking back at it, I got a lot done for 1 guy in the past couple weeks. The tough part is the rehangs wait until the last minute, then have to hop around trying to get to everything. I guess people continue the path of procrastination regardless. All my renewals were in their hands by September 15, believe it or not, I still have one that hasn't confirmed.

Looked over inventory yesterday a little, I am in pretty good shape. Still have a case of 48 mn, case of bows, 4 case icicle ll, 2 cases clear ls series mini's, full case of red and green mini's plenty of c-9, plenty of clips - shingle, parapit, all in one, case of mn garland, case of 32' noel battery operated - I couldn't keep them last year, this year, haven't been able to get rid of one.

Have two wreaths going up tomorrow, one as an add on from install yesterday, one part of install tomorrow, one today, so that will leave me one. A couple hundred more feet of clear c-9, probably case and a half of clear ls, so I think forecasting supplies has worked well. All in all, after the massive amount of disappointments I started out with, looking back not to bad I guess. Now just have to push through and finish it up.

Already had a lady ask about landscape lighting, so things will definitely get better.

10. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

had 2 appointments today and neither closed. but after my final run of 4 out of my last 5 appointments closing, I was due for some no's. finished up the last of the new and rehangs today, and doing some free stuff and my house tomorrow, along with a few fixes. today was actually 3 crews all day, and tomorrow is one crew only. gonna gear up to do a few landscape light jobs and landscape glass bed, and then need to film jobs before takedown starts. gotta shift gears back to working on the shop as well, try to finish up some things on sides and doors.

still hoping to close a few more jobs, and maybe one or 2 more may come in, but really only 3 days left to sell.