New Scag SFC 30

Collin02

LawnSite Member
Got the chance to demo the new SFC 30 today. Here is my brief review.

Cut quality is great - exactly what I would expect from a scag.

Drive system - forward is strong. Seemed like it takes a little push to get it going up a hill but once its moving it will pull itself right up the hill no problem. the only con is it does not have reverse (it is quite heavy to pull back)

front wheels - would be soooo much better if they had swivel casters on the front. I did contact scag through social media and was informed those would be available as an add on accessory at a later date.

I like that the motor can run and the wheels can drive without the deck engaged.

It is built like a tank. Heavy steel, no play in the handle like little push mowers, etc. the downside is that it is HEAVY you dont want to have to pull it back very far.

engine - the kohler command pro on it is a 224cc with 11 gross ft-lbs of torque and felt plenty powerful to get through some thick tall grass. I like the large fuel tank, I believe it is 1 gallon.

let me know your thoughts if you have also done a demo with it or have or plan to purchase one.
37066898-CEC3-4884-8EDC-3CBA68DBFEDA.jpeg
74529A1D-EF7E-42A4-9D31-DC99B235F036.jpeg

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Does it want to freewheel going down a hill...or will the hydro slow it down?

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
They don’t use caters because it will make already poor slope performance even worse. So what you have is a heavy push mower designed for tight areas that’s hard to pull backwards and will wear you out in turns. Genius.

Casters would help alot in the turning issue. I think its a niche machine for sure. My friend loves 30s as a gate mower because he thinks 36 hydros are over priced. I disagree with him but whatever. If your truck is limited in space or weight capacity the 30 can be nice. Small trailer or working out of the bed. I don't see it completely replacing a 20 due to weight and size and I personally would much prefer a hydro 36 stander or sulky. This is all assuming caster front wheels to reduce fatigue and not using it on slopes beyond its ability. With out casters id rather use a commercial 20. I remember just switch from a home owner 20 to a commercial 20 felt heavy for the first week or so. Can't imagine another 50 or so pounds,lol.

Its a machine I want because it seems cool, but at the end of the day, I only really have one lawn I would use it on. Its at the bottom of a steep hill and my 36 hydro can't get down there so I use a 20. A wide cut would be nice as its a decent sized area. I'd like to see more in the 25 inch commercial mower area. Those still stay somewhat light.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Casters help for turning but they make the mower longer snd terrible on slopes unless you can manually lock them every time you get to an incline.

Spend the $$$ , get a dual hydro Walk and avoid these crappy push mowers the manufacturers are peddling.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Casters would help alot in the turning issue. I think its a niche machine for sure. My friend loves 30s as a gate mower because he thinks 36 hydros are over priced. I disagree with him but whatever. If your truck is limited in space or weight capacity the 30 can be nice. Small trailer or working out of the bed. I don't see it completely replacing a 20 due to weight and size and I personally would much prefer a hydro 36 stander or sulky. This is all assuming caster front wheels to reduce fatigue and not using it on slopes beyond its ability. With out casters id rather use a commercial 20. I remember just switch from a home owner 20 to a commercial 20 felt heavy for the first week or so. Can't imagine another 50 or so pounds,lol.

Its a machine I want because it seems cool, but at the end of the day, I only really have one lawn I would use it on. Its at the bottom of a steep hill and my 36 hydro can't get down there so I use a 20. A wide cut would be nice as its a decent sized area. I'd like to see more in the 25 inch commercial mower area. Those still stay somewhat light.
Overall my hrx217 is as fast or faster occasionally then my Turfmaster with cv224. The only time the Turfmaster is faster is on wide open big yards. You’re probably better off with your 21” I was so stoked about having a Turfmaster with the bigger kohler but day by day I’m just running the Honda instead. Unless mostly going straight the 30” beats the crap out of me at the end of the day.

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
"Casters help for turning but they make the mower longer snd terrible on slopes unless you can manually lock them every time you get to an incline.

Spend the $$$ , get a dual hydro Walk and avoid these crappy push mowers the manufacturers are peddling"

Yep, bradley 36, Wright 32, bad boy 36, several reasonable options built alot tougher...

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Overall my hrx217 is as fast or faster occasionally then my Turfmaster with cv224. The only time the Turfmaster is faster is on wide open big yards. You’re probably better off with your 21” I was so stoked about having a Turfmaster with the bigger kohler but day by day I’m just running the Honda instead. Unless mostly going straight the 30” beats the crap out of me at the end of the day.

Yea I came really close to getting a 30 early this year when the Kohler and heavy duty transmission came out but covid shortages prevented me from getting it. Kinda happy I didn't. Kinda wish I picked a different flavor of 20 inch but oh well, I make it work.

Top Forums