1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

New SD deck on an older Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Indiana, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I resently got a SD deck for my Walker. My walker is a 1994 and has the older square shaft. The new 48" SD deck has the new spline shaft. I had the guy order me a new style spline driveshaft for my walker and my old deck. He then told me later after I got the deck that it would be better to convert the new deck to the square shaft.

The new deck is also tilt up and the old deck is not. I have the square driveshaft he ordered me but it doesn't even go on the deck gear box. Also it is a much different design.

Anybody ever done this? How did you do it?

2. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

To change the shaft on the deck you have to change the gear box too--I think. But if you change the shaft on the tractor it costs about $90 and all you have to do is pull it of- no tools needed .This is what I know from older machines and my not be true now. Brad

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I assume you are talking about your old deck being a 48" GHS unit. Go with the splined shaft,runs smother and is quieter, also has better set up for shear pins. I bought a new 48"GHS and a 62" SD deck last year. The 48" GHS deck is like night and day compared to the old one. Wish I had done it sooner. I belive the 48" SD deck is a new model.

Gene