1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

New season new Exmark spreader sprayer. Any tips do's or don'ts etc I'm pretty excited thanks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HenryB, Mar 3, 2020.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Title kind of says it all I'm a little new to the stand on spreader sprayer. I have some experience but not that much so any tips or advice would really help thanks in advance

Wes Parker likes this.
  2. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

Get brown tips and spray at an quart per thousand. You will get two acres out of a fill. The tank takes 22 gallon filled to the top. Do a search here on toro or exmark spreader sprayers. Tons of threads about these machines. You will love it.

3. OP
    OP
    HenryB

Thank you Marine for the help I'm excited but also a little bit hesitant this machine can get a lot of work done but I fear can do some damage in the wrong hands lol. Being kind of new to the whole low volume application thing has me a little hesitant but I guess I have to get over my fears and fire away

4. Marine03112

Dude you will have no problem. Low volume will save you time and money. Just follow the label for mixing etc. exmark has tons of videos on YouTube to help you calibrate and run the machine. Exmark is the inventor of these machines. Check them out. Good luck and any questions send them out. Off to work.

5. tdoeizreal

tdoeizreal LawnSite Senior Member

I'd stick with stock tips and run at 40psi when spraying for the first year. Less chance of burning a lawn for someone with little experience on a ride on. You can look into changing things up once your confident in your machine.

6. Marine03112

To be honest if he goes 1.1 oz per quart in the spring he won’t burn anything. But it is his choice. Gl either way.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Get a few hours of practice with water at first.
    Be sure you do not try to spray between two rose bushes--if they are less than 6 feet apart.
    Be sure you can quickly switch to a narrow pattern or a trim nozzle when spraying around flowers.
    Get an idea of which slopes are unsafe.
    Take some time to calibrate the spreader --and then the sprayer.
    Learn how far apart to make your swath pass. For instance if you swath is 8 feet --measured center to center--and the machine is 3 feet wide, then the distance between tire tracks is about 5 feet.

Learn to turn it around (without slowing down) at the end of the swath so you can come back with your tracks 5 feet apart. Keep a tape measure in your pocket to double check as you go for the first few days.

8. OP
    OP
    HenryB

Thank you all for the tips I appreciate it.
    One thing I learn today while playing around in my yard, when putting gas in it turn the steering column all the way to the left or right rather than in the center makes refueling a lot easier lol.

Marine03112 likes this.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

And remember--most spreader sprayers are a bit top heavy--especially when the hopper is full of fertilizer.
    Be safe--be cautious. Put a full unopened bag of fert if the hopper and push from the side--be sure you know how much force will cause it to tip. If you have employees--be sure to insist that they operate with safety in mind. A fertilizer spill is bad. A roll-over is worse.

10. Marine03112

The toro has no top weight whatsoever with or with out fert in it. It is super well balanced and it’s center of gravity is genius.

That Guy Gary likes this.