1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

new sod weed control....

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by d.m.d., Jun 3, 2008.

1. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

laid almost 600 bucks worth of meyers zoysia sod in my yard and its loaded up with weeds like clover crabgras etc.its been down 2 weeks.how long before i can start some type of weed control.......thanks

2. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

bump....nobody,anybody

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you plant a tropical grass in a temperate zone?

No idea on your weed control. Ask your friendly neighborhood L&G center. (Not HD or Lowes.)

How cold does it get there? Once it drops to around 30 degrees or so, that lawn is going to turn yellow really quick.

A bunch of people up here in the northeast are tearing out their zoysia and replanting with a mix of kentucky bluegrasses and fescues. Looks a LOT nicer.

4. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

i have owned the property for 5 years and the original owner had zoysia throughout most of the yard so i had a tree taken down and needed to repair the yard.the sod cost me 600 bills and let me tell ya i got a lot of weeds poppin up in it.anyway a lot of yards around st.louis have zoysia and if i was to rework the whole yard it wouldnt be zoysia,its nice in the heat of summer but its not worth the late green/early brown and doesnt do good in the shade.......