New SUPER lightweight trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JimsLocalLawn, May 19, 2017.

1. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Went to dealer today and was poking around. Was looking at Tanaka's 2017 line, and boy they have made some changes. They have a new TCG24ECPSL 24cc trimmer and we weighed it in there on a scale. WITH the cutting head and shield the total weight was 8.7 POUNDS!!!

That makes this the lightest commercial trimmer available for 2017 that I know of at least. They upgraded the grips to neopreem which is much more comfortable than the traditional plastic. They also put a more powerful engine on this unit. I'm not sold on the stock hand grip, but they introduced a new hand grip for $18 which is exactly like Echo's. Trimmer cost is $349 retail.

If I get enough likes on this , I will buy one and do a video review and put it on my work forum (below).

tcg24ecpsl_450x450.jpg

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i didn't know tanaka was still around. you never see them around here.

3. AL's

AL's LawnSite Senior Member

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Thats crazy. Where can I get one? Ive had my srm 225's 3 years and them suckers are startin to get heavy. Reliable as the sunrise, but heavy.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Light stuff sometimes breaks easy.......

redmax fan, K c m, dishboy and 3 others like this.
  5. NunnL&L

NunnL&L LawnSite Member

I've never had a string trimmer mess up on me so I always but a residential unit. I use dealer and never have a problem and they are light

hort101 likes this.
  6. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Silver Member

have to check but believe my 323's are 9.4lbs w/small Speed Feed.

Would try the Tanaka if it was available here.

7. Turf Tracer

$269 on ebay

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'd be willing to give one a try, but I have never seen a Tanaka dealer, big or small, here in all these years.

13Razorbackfan and hort101 like this.
  9. Turf Tracer

Dealer getting me one from regional distributor. Assuming Speed Feed will go on otherwise it's back up. Will see how it compares to 323's

Lightweight Trimmeres and High Powered Blowers make life Much Easier here.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

11lbs is lightweight to me after using a 13lb trimmer for 6 years. :laugh:

it's all in what you get used to. the 13lb trimmer caused no issues. you get used to the weight after a few weeks. it's all about muscle memory. once your muscles get used to a certain weight or feel then it becomes easy for you.