New to business - Troubles with Walk Behind

Ricky Taylor

LawnSite Member
I recently decided I really want to get into the business of landscaping, mow/blow, and potentially hardscaping.
I’m full time concrete demolition construction and have weekends off and I’m home by 5pm each day.
I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and have 3 accounts as of today 7/20. These 3 are 9000sqft-10000sqft lots and I have been push mowing them with my small toro. It’s not hard work, just time consuming. The Texas heat makes things more challenging.

After this past weekend, I went and bought a used Hustler Trimstar with the Sulky attachment, thinking it would help me become more efficient and allow me to add more accounts.

I was wrong, I’ve been practicing mowing my 1ac lot with different terrain for the past 3 days and cannot seem to get the hang of this machine. I almost want to sell it and get a larger deck, self propelled, traditional walk behind and leave the Sulky/Stand on in the past.
It has a dual wheel sulky, and the challenge is, it keeps crab walking on me, and jolts me left to right. I’ve put in some thought into buying a single wheel Sulky but don’t want to waste the money as I’m new to the game. Any tips? Will practicing every day make it become second nature?

I am new and loving it, all equipment is paid for and I am 23, semi-single leaving me with lots of time to work, and really want to get my efficiency up to par.

Thanks!

goodbeus

LawnSite Senior Member
Don’t get the single wheel sulky. Your body weight on 1 wheel will create ruts. Post a pic of your mower setup and you may get better advice for your situation.

OP
R

Ricky Taylor

LawnSite Member
20393531-3678-407A-A593-8A45CE6BCB89.jpeg
818FB69E-496E-44E1-9BFE-DB2C006A48BC.jpeg
437C2B21-B836-4608-A1D6-A11CD468F328.jpeg
2EB9F233-2AD6-4260-BA05-E802B90186CA.jpeg

OP
R

Ricky Taylor

LawnSite Member
That’s the one I bought, I cleaned it up and changed the oil.
It looks rough, but I got it for $500, and it has 350ish hours on it and starts on the first pull. The size and distance from the Sulky to the mower is perfect, I don’t feel like I am stretching to reach the controls or too close.

goodbeus

LawnSite Senior Member
I’ve never used a mower with that type of steering. Could be why you’re having a hard time with the sulky. I use standers now but many moons ago, I ran pistol grip hydro walk behinds with a sulky and I’d rock those jobs out.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
i like this idea. Thank you. Practiced for about an hour today @ 1/2 throttle.
Once you get really comfortable just running the mower it won't seem like such a steep learning curve to use the sulky. Learning to back up with a sulky takes time and practice. After a while you will glide with the machine while on the sulky.

Don't know about the other posters experience with one wheel sulkies but I am able to back up fair distances with the Exmark standon which is a one wheel sulky. The key is to keep the wheels aligned with the mower. Once it begins to jackknife it is all over.

OP
R

Ricky Taylor

LawnSite Member
Once you get really comfortable just running the mower it won't seem like such a steep learning curve to use the sulky. Learning to back up with a sulky takes time and practice. After a while you will glide with the machine while on the sulky.

Don't know about the other posters experience with one wheel sulkies but I am able to back up fair distances with the Exmark standon which is a one wheel sulky. The key is to keep the wheels aligned with the mower. Once it begins to jackknife it is all over.

Thank you for the insight!

Top Forums