1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

New to fertilizing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TazLandscapes, Apr 2, 2007.

  1. TazLandscapes

    TazLandscapes LawnSite Member
    Messages: 157

    I want to start getting into fertilizing and i wanted to know what every body uses.what would i have to do for prep work. What tools do i use for fertilization. And how do i price it out.

    Mike DiBiase
    Taz Lawncare.
  2. Victor

    Victor LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,430

    Hi Mike. I use granular (dry), slow-release fertilizers and liquid herbicides. As far as per work goes, what do you mean? As far as licensing? For equipment, you could start off with a push-spreader and a backpack sprayer. As your customer base grows, you could move up to using a ride-on spreader for fertin' & squirtin', or use a combination of a ride-on spreader and a skid sprayer. Some guys like to use a skid sprayer to apply both liquid ferts & herbicides.
    The size of the lot and whether its a corner lot determine what price I give a customer. I price per 1000 sq. ft. I also include a stop fee. Hope this helps give you an idea.
  3. TazLandscapes

    TazLandscapes LawnSite Member
    Messages: 157

    Thanks Victor.
    I should have clarified it more. I want to get into just fertilizing lawns not trees and shrubs. Waht type of fertilizer do iuse. can it be bought at places like home depot or lowes.What type of licence do i need for fertilizing???
    And is there any prep work involved before fertilizing lawns

    Mike DiBiase
    Taz Lawncare
  4. GrazerZ

    GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 670

    There are alot of variables to your questions. You do not need a license to spread just fertilizer in Maine. You do need one if you use any type of herbicide, insecticide, fungicide, round-up type products even if you can buy them at home depot or other places. A home owner can apply to there own lawns, but you cannot. Go to http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/pesticides/
    for more information about the laws and requirements. Although you could just call us to do you lawns for you. Just did 9 estimates for a landscaper in Portland today. PM me with your contact information if you are interested.

Share This Page