New to hardscapes

G_Dubs

LawnSite Member
First year doing stone on our own, got some pointers from an experienced hardscaper, went at it. Here's some pics, need feedback in order to step it up next season.

4.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

8.jpg

471.jpg

061.jpg

050.jpg

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Yup, That's surely stone!

jbailey52

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well don't expect too many "looks great man" on this site. Your going to hear "well I would have done this or this is a horrible design". Which can be nice to get constructive ideas, but they usually lack the positive comments which try to knock the wind out of your sails. For me it looks good. If your new at this, your on a good road and you will learn as you go. (some guys act as if they were born knowing their trade) now on to my thoughts, what is the diameter of the fire pit? Looks kind of small in the picture. Also get ready for the "tripping hazard" and "those sharp rocks will kill someone comments" which I might agree too!

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
G

G_Dubs

LawnSite Member
I want say actual pit is approx. 30" wide, enough for a small fire. The area around pit is about 14' across. I wanted a bigger pit/seating area, but ran into surrounding trees (my design oversight).

I've since removed 80% of boulders from along stairs in last two pics, looks a lot better.

The small boulders around the fire pit are definitely angular, and look a lot sharper than they actually are, but I would have preferred more room to get around the pit as well.

OP
G

G_Dubs

LawnSite Member
Looks nice and appropriate for the setting which is spectacular.

Thanks for that, but I know there's more I can do to get better at the actual manipulation/shaping of the stone and joints, just not sure what. I the last two pics, they wanted 4" joints to cut down on labor, but I bit the bullet and tightened it up to 2" in most spots.

I've been trying to up sell customer on native perennials, evergreens, since day one, but she "likes to garden". Definitely looks really "hard" though, especially with no leaves on trees to shade it out. Have a really nice native-only nursery nearby that her and I will visit in he spring.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Well don't expect too many "looks great man" on this site. Your going to hear "well I would have done this or this is a horrible design". Which can be nice to get constructive ideas, but they usually lack the positive comments which try to knock the wind out of your sails. For me it looks good. If your new at this, your on a good road and you will learn as you go. (some guys act as if they were born knowing their trade) now on to my thoughts, what is the diameter of the fire pit? Looks kind of small in the picture. Also get ready for the "tripping hazard" and "those sharp rocks will kill someone comments" which I might agree too!

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

I wouldnt say "try to knock the wind out of your sails".

If there are safety issues or quality flaws - I'm / we're going to bring them to light.

Just like American Idol. The good singers get good feedback, and the bad singers get the flaws pointed out.

When I started doing this work, there were no internet forums for offering me guidance.

SVA_Concrete

LawnSite Senior Member
I wouldnt say "try to knock the wind out of your sails".

If there are safety issues or quality flaws - I'm / we're going to bring them to light.

Just like American Idol. The good singers get good feedback, and the bad singers get the flaws pointed out.

When I started doing this work, there were no internet forums for offering me guidance.

good thing you had straps on the backs of your boots to pull your self up by :laugh:

in reference to the original thread, nice place to work -- good views it looks like! looks rustic, that hand rail is pretty cool, did you use timber from on site?